Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: New research on colony collapse disorder

Gavin

I'm a Kellogs shill. Pay me more than them and I'll describe maggot slime as soggy, grey cornflakes.

Rosie (who likes chicken embryos for breakfast)

Blog Entries

LOL. Doris has taught a new word to the entire beekeeping community of the UK and Ireland.
    Not bad when English is not even your first language.

Steve, that will be hard to beat as the best one liner of the day!
    Last edited by Jon; 08-05-2012 at 01:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nellie View Post
    The Media is an appalling source for information at the moment.
    There is nothing new about the media having poor standards. I was in the nuclear industry in the 70s and the coal industry in the 80s and now take an interest in bees. Whenever one sees articles in the press on a subject you know something about one sees that poor research, idle investigators and vested interests are rife in the media and always have been. The tragedy is that the media controls public opinion and hence Government policies.

Rosie

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rosie View Post
    The tragedy is that the media controls public opinion and hence Government policies.
    Quite right, the only question left is: Who controls the media?

Don't they say in Scotland: He who pays the piper calls the tune. ?
    Last edited by Stromnessbees; 08-05-2012 at 01:43 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    LOL. Doris has taught a new word to the entire beekeeping community of the UK and Ireland.
    Not bad when English is not even your first language.
    Thanks, Jon.

Actually it would have been better if I had known the full implications of the word myself before I posted it.

Anyway, my anti-shill strategies are very useful knowledge for anybody who reads internet fora or comments in newspapers.

Keeping those three strategies in mind and a few supplementary ones like
    getting your statement in quickly,
    the use of very emotive language and pictures,

playing good cop - bad cop or
    lowering the tone of a forum by using racism or sexual terms
    is essential when you want to find out what's really going on.

You can pick any internet forum you like, look for the 'hot' threads and see these strategies applied, and you'll know which topics the spin doctors are spinning you a yarn on.

Have fun!

The 3 main strategies are listed here:
    http://www.sbai.org.uk/sbai_forum/sh...ull=1#post9661
    Last edited by Stromnessbees; 09-05-2012 at 08:57 PM. Reason: added link

Blog Entries

Doris there has been some speculation that there are paid stooges on share dealing forums as markets are driven by positive or negative perceptions - a concept know as 'ramping' rather than shilling. An unscrupulous bunch of day traders could probably drive a share price up or down by a penny or two and make some gain from trading it.
    However.......................the idea that there are paid stooges on the various bee forums is one of the most preposterous things I have ever heard in my entire life. And if you had friends like mine you would have heard a lot of ridiculous stuff over the years. Getting your statement in quickly is self evident as a discussion moves quickly and you need to keep up. Good cop bad cop I have never noticed on a bee forum and racism and/or and sexism should not be tolerated in my opinion. I remember a poster making racist comments about 'thick set Irish' on beekeeping forum some time ago and I could not believe that the comment was allowed to stand. One of the most prominent anti pesticide people on the old bbka forum got banned for calling an American poster who disagreed with him 'a Colonial'. Racism is ugly wherever it rears its head.
    Last edited by Jon; 08-05-2012 at 05:59 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Doris there has been some speculation that there are paid stooges on share dealing forums as markets are driven by positive or negative perceptions - a concept know as 'ramping' rather than shilling. An unscrupulous bunch of day traders could probably drive a share price up or down by a penny or two and make some gain from trading it.
    However.......................the idea that there are paid stooges on the various bee forums is one of the most preposterous things I have every heard in my entire life. And if you had friends like mine you would have heard a lot of ridiculous stuff over the years. Getting your statement in quickly is self evident as a discussion moves quickly and you need to keep up. Good cop bad cop I have never noticed on a bee forum and racism and/or and sexism should not be tolerated in my opinion. I remember a poster making racist comments about 'thick set Irish' on beekeeping forum some time ago and I could not believe that the comment was allowed to stand. One of the most prominent anti pesticide people on the old bbka forum got banned for calling an American poster who disagreed with him 'a Colonial'. Racism is ugly wherever it rears its head.
    It's not that preposterous if you consider that we beekeepers can actually be a very powerful group:

Bees are very important and the public wants them protected. If beekeepers get together and protest they can get whole categories of pesticides banned like it happened in France and in Germany.

It's only good business sense of the corporations to invest money where opinions are being made - in magazines, on fora and on conferences - to influence the opinion of the beekeepers directly and to drive any suspicion away from their products.

If they can hire people in high positions or functions it's even better for them, all they need to do is promise them support for their respective interests in return.
    Last edited by Stromnessbees; 08-05-2012 at 03:07 PM.

Blog Entries

A have to say here that a smallish Glaswegian tried to get the SBA membership to vote to put measures into place to keep a lookout for such stooges standing for office. I'm pleased to report that the vote was overwhelmingly for commonsense.

Blog Entries

Doris you need to get real. That is pure fantasy. The beekeeping community is quite cliquey. Beekeepers know each other off the forums as well. I sat beside you for two days at the bibba conference in Tipperary for gawd sakes and listened in amazement as Andrew Abrahams and yourself argued about which one of you lived on the bleakest island. The most relentless single issue poster I can think of is borderbeeman and I don't think he is being funded by anyone. Were that the case they would be looking their money back! There are a couple of others who are single issue guys but I think they are just obsessives rather than paid stooges for some cause or other. You get the same thing with some of the small cell devotees or the non-treatment beekeepers. Black bee men are exempt from that kind of behaviour of course!

What is your ethical stance on the drafting of a press release which you know to be inaccurate and/or misleading which ends up getting coverage in the UK press by our 'award winning' journalist friends. Now that is dodgy in my opinion.
    I take people at face value and I do not consider myself to be naive.
    I think latching on to every conspiracy theory doing the rounds is naive and a symptom of lazy thinking.
    Seriously Doris, the world is not the cess pool of intrigue that you imagine. Not the bee part of it anyway.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gavin View Post
    A have to say here that a smallish Glaswegian tried to get the SBA membership to vote to put measures into place to keep a lookout for such stooges standing for office. I'm pleased to report that the vote was overwhelmingly for commonsense.
    Maybe you should consider changing your mind on that after what I have explained here.

The danger of paid lobbyists infiltrating beekeeping organisations is very real and the common sense action is to prevent against it.
    Last edited by Stromnessbees; 08-05-2012 at 03:30 PM.