Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 38mm spaced Hoffman frames

Quote Originally Posted by gavin View Post
    Back to Nellie's original post - is there a good reason for going to 38mm? .
    It has been suggested that wider spacing impedes varroa activity. A nearby beekeeper is doing some experiments. Last time I heard, he had not given up, so there may be something in it.

(He mixes long, short and absent spacers, both metal and plastic, to get a variety of spaces...)

Savoyard

Blog Entries

From my perspective it was more to do with raising Drones.

My intended solutions is to stick plastic ends on the frame that will contain the drone brood. Certainly I'll be going back to using foundation for the colonies I intend to use for queen/Drone rearing and using foundation to keep all the drone brood on a particular frame seems to make sense to me. If I put that frame on a 38mm Spacer, job done.

You should get drone brood on drone foundation with a 35 mm spacing Neil. If you put a super frame in and expect to get drone brood underneath sometimes they do it, sometimes they don't!

Blog Entries

Well foundation except for the drone brood frame . I might experiment, one hive on 38mm drone frame spacing, one on 35mn and see if there's any appreciable difference.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nellie View Post
    In theory it's possible to get Hoffman frames on 38mm spacing rather than the default 35mm. My google fu must be weak because the only detail I can find on this is a thread back in 2009 started by... Er... Me.

Was just wondering if anyone had any idea who might supply these mystical items. I know I could just slap spacers on the existing frames but I quite like not having to.
    Hi Nellie!

Some dedicated beekeepers in Germany have gone the opposite direction and started keeping bees on 32 mm wide frames. The bees and the beekeepers seem to be happy with the reults, but I am not sure that 32 mm is wide enoug for dronecomb.
    I always check my new Hoffman frames, and if they are any wider than 35 mm I whittle them down a bit.

Measurements in feral colonies have shown that bees like narrow comb spacing in the centre for brood rearing and wider spacing for drone production and honey storage towards the edge of the colony.

D