Thread: Skeps

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries

Default Skeps

Stumbled across this site whilst looking for some information on Skeps:

http://www.martinatnewton.com

Lots of information on Skeps, their use today and in history and lots of other handy related stuff including how to make your own (and you can buy skeps from him). Lots of practical hints and tips about entering honey, wax etc into shows that's worth a look too as the site's run by a Honey Judge.
    Last edited by Neils; 17-12-2011 at 04:25 PM.

I like the straw top-bar hive too. He's open to suggestions for improvements. http://www.martinatnewton.com/page34.htm

I tend to catch swarms in cardboard boxes and a skep would sometimes be better.

I was lucky to have our assoc run a skep day with Martin, Great bloke and teacher, came away with a 1/2 completed Skep and all the tools and material to complete it also, Now have he urge to make some more

Blog Entries

Sounds good Wraith, I had a brief email conversation with him as I wanted to use a couple of his photos for my Hive section of our beginners course, very accommodation chap and good to hear he's out and about again.

On the edge of a mature pine forest, Kingussie, Inverness-shire

Default Skeps

Went to see some old skeps at the new Highland Folk Museum in Newtonmore. Skeps from Kingussie, Dingwall and Moray. One they knew was from the 1950's and others looked a older. Its a lovely building inside and lots of interesting stuff. They are hoping to have a hive or two on the site. IMG_0960.jpgIMG_0963.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images