Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: A mighty wind

I'm waiting for the weather to arrive although blowy. Severe flood warnings and the office closed early so staff could get home over bridges before they closed. Got home just in time to rescue the fence that was flailing around like a drunken man. (Or woman). Not sure if I have done enough. If I have chickens in the garden tomorrow, then the fence is down.

Blog Entries

Hope you get your shed sorted soon DR. One thing I haven't checked is the allotment shed. Did try on the way home in the dark but can't get the lock on the site gate open, presumably its iced up. The shed apparently has a name for blowing over in gales. Its lack of aerodynamic shape and the way it protrudes at the top of what was (until I took it over) near-grassland earned the plot the name The House on the Prairie amongst fellow plot-holders. However I've weighed the shed down with sacks of lime, wheelbarrow, tools, empty packets of gardening sundries, bits of dropped onion skin, empty plastic pots and trays, and much spare beekeeping stuff so maybe it'll be OK. Can't imagine the size (or number) of bricks required to hold its roof on so I haven't bothered.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam View Post
    If I have chickens in the garden tomorrow, then the fence is down.
    If the chickens turn into ducks, geese and waders, you know you're in trouble.

Adam, thoughts are with you and others in low-lying bits of the southeastern parts of these isles. Don't like the sound of 'once in 60 years storm surges'. Stay safe.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gavin View Post
    If the chickens turn into ducks, geese and waders, you know you're in trouble.
    You are inviting comments from the likes of Eric about GMOs with speculation like that.
    Some of them will probably grow 4 legs as well

Blog Entries

Hives all OK so far; no trees down, to my immense surprise. Hens moving like commandos from sheltered bit to sheltered bit, then getting caught out with the wind behind their tails - quite comical! Four legs might have been useful to them; maybe I need to feed GM maize to them for the benefit of their offspring ... No power for most of the day but back on by dusk. Had snow briefly. Very Christmassy!

A jumble of empty hives together with a pile of empty neucs plus one metal chair sent into a heap in one corner of the garden. They were all tied down with bricks etc. The temperature really low with the wind chill making the conditions arctic. I'll sort it all out tomorrow when the wind drops. Together with a 10 hour electricity cut - has made today one to forget.

Montgomery, Wales....turn west for England

Urghh...hope those afflicted get sorted out soon

High winds here yesterday - and glad we weren't living in Rhyl. Floods where we moved here from in E Anglia so up a hill was a good idea (well until it's wintery!). Ought to go and check apiaries. Five of our llamas had escaped through a gate that had been worried open by the wind - but were still on the farm and away from the other male!

Phone call from estate manager about one hive that went over. Out in the dark last night with head torch on and 2 degrees with snow flurries. Found the hive had been put back together by the manager!. Opened up briefly to have a look. All the bees were OK some were trying to fly in the beam of the head torch (Amm are tough little girls). Did notice that they had got through a lot of fondant so will have to check all my other colonies for stores this weekend

I'm glad to report that my hives were ok yesterday, my main concern was tree limbs coming down on them rather than being blown over
    Steven

Sent from my C5303 using Tapatalk

No chickens or ducks in the garden for me, but flooding around the area and a some houses fell into the sea. Many people were very lucky though with water levels JUST under flood levels.
    Looking out of my office window this lunchtime, the ships in the river tower above the buildings as the river level is so high. Looks quite surreal.

Wind damage with todays gusts ,- split a lodge pole pine into two and felled a noble fir . Snapped off right at the base. Shame because the noble fir was one I raised from seed some twenty years ago. Too late in life to go thro' that again . No damage to hives tho'.