Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: A mighty wind

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gavin View Post
    I'd recommend the ratchet strap before you move them
    I certainly will.

Another big storm again last night. This time there was not as much warning. I have just walked around the nature reserve where I have some of my colonies and they are still OK. Was also on the look out for some correx nuc hives from Belfast but did not find any.

Blog Entries

Were you hoping to find bees in them, too, Jimbo?

The plummeting barometers and shipping forecast were sufficient warning for me to go round and give every hive a second brick as the wind direction was slightly different to the last storm. Supposed to be a bit calmer today but I've just been sandblasted by hail and a freezing NW gale between the stable and the muck heap!

Montgomery, Wales....turn west for England

Still relaxed (relatively) about the apiary here: full wood to the SW and willow stands behind all the hives to the north. All with one roof rock so far, poly-free zone (excepting apideas and Keilers but all inside and empty). The worry here is water: although high up and avoiding the guaranteed Severn flooding in the valleys below we have assorted containers with string collecting rain from inside the oak beams above the windows in our bedroom and porch - thank you woodpeckers and bluetits for pulling the foam out of the holes, oak plugs in the Spring.

Meanwhile back at the apiary two of the roofs are suspect and need new tin. The rest I hope are coping: at least the bees are finally getting a rest from flying about collecting tiny parcels of gorse pollen and eating their stores.

Edited to say hi all

Blog Entries

Hi Susbees

Lovely to see you posting.

One of my strongest was as light as a feather yesterday - as that 58+1000+1000 oxalic went on (just to be different).

Somewhat surprising that that one stayed on its stand while another two blew off a couple of weeks ago. Despite the apparent shelter.

G.

Orkney (it’s usually cool and windy but somehow the bees survive!)

It's that time of year again don't get caught out
    Attachment 1807

Blog Entries

I rather envy your nice flat Orkney stone! We've bricks on the polynucs but trusting the roofs on the Nationals to cope as it's only 8/9. Let's hope we're right!

Keep safe, Orcadians - and all fellow-islanders. May the lifeboats stay moored - no rescues or medivacs tonight.

Blog Entries

Was thinking of Peter Cook all day today anticipating the mighty wind coming in tonight.
    Bricks went on the lids yesterday and several apideas were taped on to stands with gaffer tape.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Was thinking of Peter Cook all day today anticipating the mighty wind coming in tonight.
    'Well, errr, its not quite the conflagration we've been banking on. Never mind lads, same time tomorrow, we must get a winner one day ..... I think it was his fault, this bloke here .... '

The wind is SSW by S here so I think JIMBO might be the recipiant of any loose apideas and hive parts.