Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: LA secretaries and Council meeting

Blog Entries

Dear Dr Doolittle

Don't tell me that you haven't surreptitiously tried the queen piping sound in one of your mating apiaries just to see what happened? The Pied Piper and his rats/children have nothing on the carnage to be seen when a bunch of Apideas all explode into life.

Taking a cue from some comments yesterday I'm now working on a patented method (Monsanto will pay my costs, I'm sure) to empty all Apideas of the non-Amm bees whilst leaving the pure queens behind for successful mating.

There was one thing missing from the talk yesterday. I presume that the whole idea of the hive monitor thing is so that some bright spark like Jimbo can actually talk to them and ask them whether supping from neonic-tainted crops makes them feel dizzy?

Gavin

PS Don't believe everything you read on the internet, and this is the internet after all.

PPS Kev - Don't tempt me!

Blog Entries

I really enjoyed my trip to Saturdays meeting and am glad I made the effort to go. It certainly has given me more of an appreciation as to how the SBA works (still have along way to go though) and Trog, you were right, it is fun to put faces to the names of people we hear about- lovely to meet you.

Huw Evans talk was really interesting with lots of fascinating info, but I kind of feel that being able to use the monitor to let you know that your bees are going to swarm would take a lot of the fascination away. Would be very handy from a disease point of view though.

I live in Ayr and keep my bees near Burns Cottage.
    Blog Entries

Dear EmsE, As you may see from the number of times I have been on the forum, it is very unusual for me to add comments to various threads. The reason for this is time and not lack of interest. I did see your comments and I thought that I would take the time to say how delighted I am to hear that you enjoyed your day on Saturday. Many people are not really aware of the work done by the SBA and it is good to hear of your interest and appreciation.
    These meetings have changed over the years and I believe that they are far more interesting now than ever before. It was unfortunate that we had to cut the discussions short due to lack of time but hopefully we will be able to better that situation next year.
    Like you I found Huw Evans' talk very interesting together with the fact of his evident enthusiasm. Sometimes it is easy to try and discredit various forms of research but it may be interesting to see what comes out of it. I believe that we don't accredit nature with the merit it deserves at times and when we do eventually pay attention there are many wonders brought before us. We only have to look at our honeybees in depth to see the marvellous ways they work and communicate with each other.
    If humans could try to exist and communicate as well as they do, our world would be a far better place.
    I trust that you will continue to attend the various functions which the SBA is involved in and please if you have the time come and speak to me at these meetings.
    Very best wishes,
    Phil