Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LA secretaries and Council meeting

Blog Entries

Default LA secretaries and Council meeting

Anyone going tomorrow? Should be fun. There is one controversial motion for the Council meeting to get the adrenaline flowing, a talk on hive monitors, and several interesting topics for the Local association secretaries meeting in the morning.

G.

Blog Entries

I'm going along and looking forward to it, not sure what to expect though.
    Last edited by EmsE; 25-11-2011 at 10:23 PM.

Was hoping to go however it clashes with a litter of pups i have to microchip. :-(

I am going with Mike and Ben B. Had a late night last night so it better be interesting or I will need a lot of coffee to get me through the day!

Blog Entries

LOL! Never heard that excuse before - microchipping puppies.

Jimbo is probably on the way already, snoozing on Ben's shoulder in the back of the car. Ems, these meetings can challenge the sleep-deprived, but there are s few things to hold the attention. See you later I hope.

G.

Blog Entries

Lovely to meet EmsE and Jimbo for the first time. Sorry I didn't get a chance to chat, Gavin, but hope you caught my friendly smile in your direction! I thought it was an excellent pair of meetings, though I'm pretty hoarse now from all the chatting! (And it'll be Monday evening before I see my pretty horse ...!)

One of the better meetings I have attended. I was particularly interested in Huw Evans talk on the hive monitors that records the sounds. Huw mentioned that they have discovered a difference in sounds from the different subspecies of bees. He did not show any results but I did ask if the Italian bees that the work was done on spoke with an Italian accent and native dark bees spoke with a british accent. Do you think than hybrid bees may be bi-lingual? Perhaps the native bees may have local accents e.g a Glasgow accent or a Dundee accent. The monitoring of bee hive sounds could be compared to morphometry. Anybody got a spare few hundred thousand pounds for a wee research project?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Anybody got a spare few hundred thousand pounds for a wee research project?
    Sorry Jimbo, the research funds coffers have been completely emptied by the .... oh, I've said enough about that one, haven't I?! Mike has one if you want to play with it although it did have an odd smell that we were hoping wasn't due to him putting the batteries back the wrong way round.

Saw your smile Trog - thanks - but there were just too many people to speak to for me to wander over. And yes, both Jimbo and Ems are lovely, aren't they?! Do horses get chipped too? And while we're at it, we could chip all candidates for important SBA positions, perhaps with miniature devices similar to Dr Evans' one so that any links to unsavoury organisations can be monitored .... just joking. I know, I shouldn't go there. Sorry.

G.

Sounds like i missed a good day then. You tell me what you want chipped Gavin and i shall gladly fire a needle into the back of its neck !!!
    :-)

After hearing the sounds the queens and workers make I wonder if we can respond and speak back to them. I can't find my kazoo but tissue paper and comb might work. What would you want to say to them though?