Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Communication in Bees

Blog Entries

Default Re: Communication in Bees

Quote Originally Posted by gavin View Post
    If only I'd remembered to turn a camera on the audience....
    Feel free to forget your camera when you visit Kilbarchan next month

Sent from my GT-S6810P using Tapatalk 2

Blog Entries

I'm determined to see whether the Kilbarchan crowd, wonderful people that they are, have become confident, self-assured, comfortable with themselves, and have no need for this arm-crossing I saw last time. Points out of ten will be awarded.

I'll be bristling with cameras!

Quote Originally Posted by gavin View Post
    I'm determined to see whether the Kilbarchan crowd, wonderful people that they are, have become confident, self-assured, comfortable with themselves, and have no need for this arm-crossing I saw last time. Points out of ten will be awarded.

I'll be bristling with cameras!
    body language issues communication in humans - came across this

"In some cultures arm crossing signals that the person is holding themself still so they can pay greater attention to you (and is hence a compliment)."

Always take the positive. But be careful in darkest Renfrewshire -

Blog Entries

Well, in central Glasgow last night there were a few holding themselves in that manner, but most were relaxed and smiley. A happy, well-adjusted lot was my interpretation. Even those not smiling in the picture were attentive, interested, constructive and polite. I really enjoyed the trip - thanks for having me! This was my second attempt at getting a sharp photo - no need for any deliberate soft focus effects with this lot!

One addition to earlier versions was the inclusion of the Stop signal as used during swarm decision making. This one comes from Tom Seeley's lab. Once the 60-100 scouts have agreed a new site, they turn their attentions to silencing dancers that haven't yet got the message. Otherwise, when the swarm takes to the air, they might split and head off in different directions, each split lead by a set of scouts doing their own zipping back and forward flights pointing the way. The signal appears to be the same one used by foragers seeing dancers promoting visits to a risky forage site once they are back in the nest.

In this case the dancer is persistent, presumably she thinks 'her' nest site was a good one.

Last edited by gavin; 13-02-2014 at 11:53 PM.

Blog Entries

The Communications roadshow goes international (kind of). Just back from an extended stay in Belfast (thanks Jon!). Great to meet Brothermoo (What a helpful fellow! Pops up everywhere, doing helpful jobs for people), Blackcavebees (always looks happy!) and a whole slew of Belfast and Ulster beekeepers, plus a trip round all Jon's favourite bee places, a visit to the legendary site of the Donkey Incident, and I made friends with Luna the dog. OK, there were a few arm-folders but I never warned them that their composure might be compared with that of associations in Scotland. They meet in Holywood and the first name I heard when I got in was Frankie (no implications of sexual orientation intended). Cracking facilities they have there. We usually make do with basic church halls this side of the Irish Sea.

Blog Entries

And he managed to cut me out of the photo! I can see Moo at Houston mission control at the back of the room. Cameo appearance from Terry Clare ex Bibba president.

Blog Entries

I can see me too !

Blog Entries

Jon,
    Belfast is one of the oldest beekeeping associations in N.Ireland, we are 72 years young this season. Our oldest subscribing member is Bill, middle of the 3 in the front row - wont tell you who is second on the list but I'm sure you could make a good guess.

Blog Entries

Absolutely lovely evening for a dander up to Highland Perthshire tonight for a talk to the Fortingall Beekeepers. Great to see you all.

G.

Yew had a good time then!