Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Diesel fumes killing bees?

Blog Entries

Default Diesel fumes killing bees?

Another possible possible culprit for bee losses? http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-15215693

As soon as funds are available for anything, whether it is bees or global warming, suddenly people who previously had no interest in climate or beekeeping but want research grants to pay their wages, find that actually they are really interested,and, have found some obscure yet vitally important area of research, which if ignored will result in catastrophe.

How brilliant if both can be rolled up into one research project.
    Think I'm joking then see this months SBA magazine.
    Somebody might suggest to this researcher that looking for the effects of global warming might be futile in a maritime climate like Scotland and to try some area where bee survival is marginal.
    Course that's a bit more difficult than just sitting on your butt asking for input from beekeepers for your statistical manipulations.

All the campaigns to get funds for beekeeping research seem only have opened the door to people who like to spend money with no useful purpose in mind.

Maybe somebody should tell these guys that honey bee colonies are not collapsing
    Anybody seen a UFO recently ? How about a witch on a broomstick ?
    Last edited by The Drone Ranger; 07-10-2011 at 07:36 PM.

Blog Entries

Diesel cars have increased enormously as they're more economical to run. There was something on Radio 4 recently about the diesel fumes harming humans. In USA bees are transported huge distances on diesel-guzzling lorries along roads presumably also well dosed with diesel fumes. They have a problem with CCD. Worth investigating IMHO.

Blog Entries

This sounds just like the Dundee research only it's diesel rather than Imidacloprid.

In USA bees are transported huge distances on diesel-guzzling lorries
    Colony movement was one of the first things they looked at when ccd struck and there is nothing in it according to any of the research.

Next up, feta cheese behind bee decline.

Maybe somebody should tell these guys that honey bee colonies are not collapsing
    Exactly. In the uk bees are doing very well.

Blog Entries

You guys are sounding like a stuck record! So, you're quite happy that bees foraging along a motorway or busy road are not taking in anything they shouldn't. Likewise you are happy to gather brambles and fungi by a main road? I never have.

It won't be aircraft and jet engines because that is too inconvenient.

Mediterranean diet will see you live to 100 and still be active
    Nothing whatever to do with them having nice sunny weather no central heating and year round access to being outside.
    The 6 months of miserable weather we get every year can be cancelled out by a few drops of olive oil some peppers and a load of researchers measuring the wrong thing.

Eat 5 fruit and vegetables live forever

Quote Originally Posted by Trog View Post
    You guys are sounding like a stuck record! So, you're quite happy that bees foraging along a motorway or busy road are not taking in anything they shouldn't. Likewise you are happy to gather brambles and fungi by a main road? I never have.
    I love your enthusiasm Trog gathering brambles and mushrooms.
    Hows the mead coming along
    Last edited by The Drone Ranger; 07-10-2011 at 09:55 PM.

Blog Entries

No mead, Droney, but I do like to gather a few brambles to go with the windfall apples in a crumble or pie. I've known since I was knee high to a grasshopper not to gather anything from roadsides. Not enough apples or crab apples for jelly this year due to the appalling May weather but we've had a few chanterelle mushrooms so far. When I spend a few days in a city, I notice a real difference in my skin and hair. Would be very surprised if the pollution doesn't affect bees in some way and it's for scientists to make the measurements (I've not used a microscope for donkey's years and never looked at anything more complicated than pond water!). I'm happy enough for them to be paid for doing so.

I've got some mead going now on advice from Nellie
    Grizzly has a prize winning recipe but so far is keeping it quiet.
    Jon is using apples not honey (his mead might be a bit like scrumpy)

Mushrooms along paths are a bit dodgy (dog pee)

The cat is being kept away from my mead as he may have contaminated my last batch of wine.(people said it tasted like cat p..)

I've got 2 microscopes they are fearfully heavy and my wife has banned them from the kitchen table
    I have a rocking microtome but haven't learned to play anything on it yet

Wallet is much lighter now due to supermarkets forming a sugar cartel
    Are your bees alright ?

Blog Entries

Yup! Don't collect anything that might be within a dog's reach, whether brambles, mushrooms, wild raspberries or wild strawberries!