Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Matchsticks yes or no??

On the edge of a mature pine forest, Kingussie, Inverness-shire

Quite a few modifications to be done to the bee house when spring comes - some insulation for a start as when it's v cold it can be a degree colder inside! We also have to change how the hive entrances but up to the wall as it's easy to not push the hive hard against it and the bees end up on the floor and not in the hive. Also need to plant a small hedge infront and some trees around to cut the wind. Apart from that it's great to have everything in one place. Still pretty cold here and seem to be having a power cut at present. Not seen any bees for weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by derekm View Post
    I have measured that matchstick under the crown board halves the already poor heat retention of a standard cedar national hive.
    It's a bit like leaving the loft hatch open all winter.

Many moons ago, in the absence of foil-backed expanded polystyrene, 'quilts' were used as insulation on the top of the frames. A small length of wood was put across the frames in winter to act as a bee-way to allow the bees to move from comb to comb. I think this was before a plywood crown-board was used.

Many moons ago? I'm still doing that along with a block of candy; "just in case".......