Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Forum FAQ: How do I... Can I...?

Blog Entries

Default Forum FAQ: How do I... Can I...?

Thought this might be a good place to create a few pointers on how to do a few things on this forum that seem to cause people problems from time to time.

Blog Entries

Default Including Images or Files with your Post.

The forum allows you to upload files directly from your computer and include them as part of your post as per the example picture below:

When creating a new Thread the full management options are automatically shown, when replying to a thread the "Quick Reply" is the default setting. To view all the options available, click "Go Advanced".

To include a file in your post click the "Manage Attachments" button. This will open a pop-up window that allows you to view any files you've previously uploaded to the SBAi Forum.

If you want to upload a new file, click the "Add Files" Button and browse the folder containing the file on your computer. Files can only be uploaded one at a time.

Once the file is selected, click "upload", once complete the file is placed in your home folder and by default is placed in the Attachments:

There should now be a nice photo of Sir Clifford of Richard attached to this post.

The downside of this method is that images tend to be shrunk to a more manageable size. If you want to include a detailed photo of a frame of brood, perhaps for an opinion, it might be preferable to upload it to a service like Flickr and link to a bigger photo directly in the post as detailed in the next section.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Neils; 03-10-2011 at 10:27 AM.

Blog Entries

Default Linking to Images hosted elsewhere (e.g. Flickr)

For larger Image files you might prefer to link directly to the image in question.

Generally, right click on the image that you want to link to and select "Copy image Address" (or similar, it can vary from browser to browser).

On the forum, click the "add image" button and simply paste the link you just copied.
    this will create something along the lines of:

[ IMG]http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5039/5898353732_2f2452cfa6_b.jpg[/IMG ]

in your post. This is where your photo will appear when you Preview or click submit reply:

Please note that it is generally considered impolite to simply link to photos on someone else's website as although the image is appearing in a thread here, it is being loaded off their site which means that they're essentially paying to enhance someone else's website. It is not unknown for sites to simply block linking to images in this way or to replace the image with something far less desirable.

My personal preference is Flickr, but there are other image hosting services available and it may be preferable to place a copy of the image (if the owner is OK with it of course) onto an image hosting service and link to that rather than to the original site.

If you don't want to set up an account on an Image hosting service, Gavin will host the photo for you:
    Quote Originally Posted by Gavin
    If anyone would like a 'full sized' image on the forum and isn't up to using Flickr or its friends, send it to me (if you need my email address a Private Message, accessed from the top bar when you're logged in, will bring it to you). I put mine in a folder on the SBAi web server and would be happy to do so for others too. I use images set at 800 pixels wide.
    Don't go overboard in your posts with images (I'm guilty of doing so) as those on slow download speeds (and we do have members in that category) may find too many large pictures a pain.
    Last edited by Neils; 02-10-2011 at 06:41 PM.

Blog Entries

Default Linking to other sites.

The SBAi forum has an open policy when it comes to referring and linking to other Beekeeping resources on the Web. There is no need to euphemistically refer to that supplier that you might find on a rose and linking to relevant resources is fine by us.

If you wish to promote your own beekeeping related business however, we ask that you're an existing advertiser in the Scottish Beekeeper, more information on how to advertise can be found in This Thread

My personal feeling is that URL anonymising services such as Tiny URL are both un-necessary here and pose a risk to users as the end destination of the link is not known.

If tiny urls are to be utilised, the preview facility should be used:

http://preview.tinyurl.com/6aaozv4

Anyone who wants their own peace of mind when it comes to clicking on a tiny URL not using the preview facility can enable it by default from the following section of the TinyURL site:
    http://tinyurl.com/preview.php

When clicking on a Tiny URL when the preview service is enabled, you'll be taken to a Page on their website that displays the end destination so that you can make a more educated decision whether you're being taken to a website that you trust.

If you do want to link to an unfeasibly long URL, the forum has an inbuilt aliasing facility , simply click on the Insert Link (globe with a chain link icon) button, paste the URL and click OK. A link will added to the post:

[ URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=___YOr0ERPc"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=___YOr0ERPc[/URL ]

The second link in this tag should now be highlighted and can replaced with any description you like:

[ URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=___YOr0ERPc"]a You Tube Video[/URL ]

Which is how the link will be displayed in the post:

a You Tube Video
    Last edited by Neils; 02-10-2011 at 06:38 PM.

Senior Member Mellifera Crofter's Avatar
    Aberdeenshire, on top of a wind-swept and exposed hill.

I'm curious - why, when I attach photos, do they appear as small icons in the post on which one has to click to enlarge them (as in these posts) while other people manage to add photos to the post that are already the right size (for example, Gavin's photos).

I used the Insert Image option and copied a file from my computer. What is Gavin's way of inserting photos?

Kitta

Blog Entries

Default Forum FAQ: How do I... Can I...?

Hi Kitta

I use ftp to upload images to a special area on the server. Only I have the necessary permissions for the SBAi space but you might have your own web space somewhere. Easiest is to use a web picture hosting service as described above, then use 'insert picture' to insert the URL and unchecking the 'upload to this site' box (or whatever the words used).

I discovered accidentally that you can do the upload as you've been doing, find the address (rt click?) Then use 'insert picture' to short-cut straight to the inserted picture file location and have it on display immediately in the post rather than via that box.

G.

Sent from my BlackBerry 8520 using Tapatalk

Senior Member Mellifera Crofter's Avatar
    Aberdeenshire, on top of a wind-swept and exposed hill.

Thanks Gavin.
    K

How can one include a pic on the profile page? Having had I think a good nosey I am not seeing a link to do so?

PH

Quote Originally Posted by Poly Hive View Post
    How can one include a pic on the profile page? Having had I think a good nosey I am not seeing a link to do so?

PH
    Hi, you can go through forum actions (on the top-bar) to edit profile which then gives the profile picture option.

Morning,

Yep I found the profile edit but cannot see the pic option?? ah got it, it's actually under settings then on the left, edit profile pic.

PH
    Last edited by Poly Hive; 01-02-2015 at 12:07 PM.