Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What's going on here?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gavin View Post
    That your wrists have swollen?! Sorry ... couldn't resist.

Are you up to wrenching off the head together with the first thoracic segment? A hand lens - or good eyesight - might tell you if you have the signs of acarine which, as has been said, is one reason for such die-offs. I know a man who does it with a thumbnail. I think that k-wing symptoms are optional with acarine, and its presence isn't diagnostic anyway.

G.
    I took off a couple of heads and, bearing in mind the excellent illustrations posted on this very forum a couple of days ago, took a look with a hand lens. Looked OK, but that's only 2. Small clumps, not 100s ... maybe five or so in each clump but lots of clumps.

Meanwhile, no sleep at all last night ... wrist, hand, forearm all swollen, red and small itchy bumps. Worst reaction I've ever had and I wasn't even working the bees, just minding my own business in the garden! Illogical, I know, but somehow it seems fair to be stung while working bees but when I'm not bothering them in any way!

Blog Entries

Apparently acarine is much less common in the UK since beekeepers started to use thymol treatments for varroa, but your varroa free bees have probably never had a snifter of thymol. Fingers crossed it is something else.

Blog Entries

Well, Jon, I'd rather it wasn't anything! At least thymol seems to work, from what I've read. Last time I had it the only suggestion was creosote in the smoker and they were too far gone for it to work. In fact, we didn't see it in the days when the boxes were painted with creosote!

Hi Trog

Is it all over now or still happening??

Blog Entries

Droney, I've no idea - spent most of the day in bed guzzling antihistamines and paracetamol, feeling grotty!

Hi Trog

Best get that checked out by the Doc I think.
    Just in case you have had a tick bite or something as well.
    Also people can have been stung hundreds of times and then for no reason have serious allergic reactions

Blog Entries

Phoned doc - said to take antihistamines and paracetamol! Good old-fashioned Calamine lotion seems to be best on the itching. No tick bites this time but we do get them in the garden since the deer started coming in. I don't react to those but clegs cause problems. Think the swelling's going down a bit today. I don't get stung very often (gentlish bees gently handled); this was just unfortunate!

Not much help now, but may help next year. I was advised years ago to give up due to worsening reaction at one stage needed an injection at A&E. Pre internet I found a paper in the Mor ibrary that advised each spring taking 2 pyriton and 1 aspirin 30mins before catching your bee and forcing it to sting more difficult than you migh think. I did this for a few years, it worked for me to the point where I now dont bother. Not a cure for those with serious reaction issues, but may help those at the uncomfortable stage. Don't know if anyone else has tried this.

Quote Originally Posted by Trog View Post
    Phoned doc - said to take antihistamines and paracetamol! Good old-fashioned Calamine lotion seems to be best on the itching. No tick bites this time but we do get them in the garden since the deer started coming in. I don't react to those but clegs cause problems. Think the swelling's going down a bit today. I don't get stung very often (gentlish bees gently handled); this was just unfortunate!
    That's good
    We have deer in our field and they have ticks which can carry Lymes disease.
    That starts off like flu and if left gets into your system permanently.

Like Nemphlar was saying I was chatting some years ago with a chap who kept bees most of his life and his wife helped.
    She had been stung hundreds of times over the years then out of the blue had Anaphylactic shock and had to be carted off to hospital.
    The tolerance treatment didn't work for her so it was no bees afterwards (personally I would have just got an Epipen)

That's a good reason for trying to select the gentler bees although they sometimes are less productive
    Last edited by The Drone Ranger; 01-10-2011 at 04:25 PM.

Blog Entries

I was tested for Lymes disease a couple of years ago as I do pick up the odd tick now and again. Got attacked by deer flies a few days ago while fishing. Horrible things. Today, I tried the tarantella treatment to see if that helped the arm swelling to go down. Seems to have helped!