Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by madasafish View Post
    John Le Carre..
    I suspect that DL was being rhetorical ... but whatever he implies I don't think that his memory is *that* bad. Looking forward to meeting him one day - just 20 miles or so away and I don't think that we've ever shaken hands.

Quote Originally Posted by gavin View Post
    I suspect that DL was being rhetorical ... but whatever he implies I don't think that his memory is *that* bad. Looking forward to meeting him one day - just 20 miles or so away and I don't think that we've ever shaken hands.
    Next season hopefully Gavin
    And maybe I will get some more honey next year

How did you get on down in the shelter of the Tay valley ??

Sarpo mira a great success though so it hasn't been all bad.

Can't get away from the smell of thymol at moment putting a touch in the winter feed.
    Smellies people might be more like it

Blog Entries

A lot better than you I suspect. Healthy and vigorous bees once they got over the difficulty of getting good, mated queens. A super of lime honey for the first time ever. Four colonies went to Glen Isla and three of them gave a full super of ling cut comb despite the awful August.

Different 6 miles along the road at the association apiary where the mating was dreadful and the bees mostly hungry.

Just about to lace some winter feed myself - bought a large number of sugar bags in Poundstretcher today. The ones that were at the heather have filled their brood boxes themselves.

Dug some nice spuds this afternoon - no Sarpo Mira but some of Andean descent and rather special.

Blog Entries

Spuds, apples, pears, plums and raspberries have all been brilliant this year.
    Also have a bumper crop of onions and parsnip.
    Sarpo mira are nice when boiled, cooled, then fried in olive oil.
    A fried potato makes a fine breakfast no matter what those muesli and shredded wheat freaks will tell you.

I picked 120lbs of damson from my trees at the allotment.

I got 150k of sugar for £75 which is reckon is a bargain.
    40k went into the apple wine and the rest is mostly in the belly of the bees.
    Last edited by Jon; 29-09-2011 at 08:16 PM.

Jon I'm going to try your healthy breakfast option ASAP

The supermarkets are price fixing on sugar I'm sure

Blog Entries

Where did you find sugar so cheap, Jon?

I, too, love fried potatoes. Olive oil most of the time but you can't beat the fat from a good Scots black pudding!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Trog View Post
    It's from a guy in Dromore bka who gets several tons of sugar for local beekeepers most years.
    It has been damaged by damp storage and some of it is in big lumps but that's no problem when you have to dissolve it anyway.

Other than that Lidl is 82p and Asda 79p. A lot of places are charging over £1 now.

Blog Entries

Poundstretcher were 79p, with the added advantage of a lovely lass with a soft Southern Irish accent to assist. Murray told me last night that sugar supplies are running out for this season. Tesco Direct are limiting orders (30 bags?) and there will be no more bulk deliveries until the new season's crop is in. At that time the prices may jump further.

Blog Entries

My feeding is pretty much done now, unless I detect a light colony in late October and I will give fondant at the point.

Quote Originally Posted by Trog View Post

I, too, love fried potatoes. Olive oil most of the time but you can't beat the fat from a good Scots black pudding!
    Olive oil is very healthy but I don't much care for it on salads so up till now I've had to eat lots of mayonaise but fried potatoes are a much better option.

What is the actual price difference between using sugar and ambrosia has anyone been able to work it out