Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Mead!

Blog Entries

Damn you stupid autocorrect on the phone, one of these days I'll leave a post typed out on the phone exactly as the autocorrect thinks it should be. I had something in a mail, "drones" maybe, autocorrected to "Giraffes" last night which might possibly have confused the new beek I was about to send it to if I hadn't spotted it.

I know some people love them but honey shows do nothing for me.

As the Bee said to the Varroa "Giraffe" (Needs a Scottish accent )

I can't type anything on the phone poperly so I niver uze it.

If at first you don't succeed -- skip the skydiving

Though the bubbling might have slowed so I have added some more honey.
    Then I had a genius idea and bunged in a few aspirins and paracetemol.
    Built in hangover cure -- how good is that

Blog Entries

Good plan, next step add the bacon, sausage, egg and beans ?

Quote Originally Posted by Nellie View Post
    Good plan, next step add the bacon, sausage, egg and beans ?
    That's brilliant !!

I'm guarding this mead carefully because the last time I made wine (some years ago) I have a deep suspicion that the cat may have drank some of it during the night and then to cover up his crime he piddled in the jar to make up the missing contents.

When we drank it everyone agreed that was what must have happened.

I've nailed up the cat flap for the duration of the ferment

I don't get caught twice

If you want your mead to "taste of honey" you need a honey with a fairly pronounced flavour to start with.I think O.S.R. honey is a bit bland and results in a very mild "honey" taste.Another mistake is to try to obtain a very high alcohol mead as this will also give "off" flovour.I've got a recipe that got a "first" at the Royal Show many years ago - I'll see if I can find it and post it on the web.

Quote Originally Posted by GRIZZLY View Post
    If you want your mead to "taste of honey" you need a honey with a fairly pronounced flavour to start with.I think O.S.R. honey is a bit bland and results in a very mild "honey" taste.Another mistake is to try to obtain a very high alcohol mead as this will also give "off" flovour.I've got a recipe that got a "first" at the Royal Show many years ago - I'll see if I can find it and post it on the web.
    Stop teasing lets have that recipe

Had to use rape honey though because its all I had (have included some toast)

Quote Originally Posted by The Drone Ranger View Post
    Stop teasing lets have that recipe

Had to use rape honey though because its all I had (have included some toast)
    Still looking

Two recipes:- but first activate yeast as follows:-
    1/4 pint water
    1 teaspoon sugar
    1/4 teaspoon tartaric acid
    mead yeast
    1/4 teaspoon yeast extract(marmite or similar)
    1/4 teaspoon ammonium phosphate

Place the water,sugar,tartaric acid and yeast extract in a pan,bring to the boil.Put hot into a sterilised bottle and cover.Do this gradually so as not to crack the bottle.When ONLY WARM add the ammonium phosphate and shake to dissolve.When only LUKE WARM add the yeast,place a tuft of cotton wool in the neck of the bottle.(Choose a bottle that will fill to about 5/8 full).Leave to stand in a warm place(70 deg to 80deg)for 48 hours.

Recipe No1 :- Dry mead.
    3lb - 3 1/2 lb honey dissolved in enough water to make 1 gallon.
    Previously activated yeast.
    Bring honey and water to the boil,reduce heat and simmer for a maximum of 5 minutes.Stand on one side to cool.Filter thro a wine bag or similar into fermentation jar,when lukewarm add the activated yeast and plug the neck of the fermentation vessel with cotton wool and leave for 2 days.When the first vigorous ferment has died down insert the airlock.Keep in a warm temperature - between 65 deg and 80 deg is ideal.When fermentation ceases,stand the vessel in a cool place for a month,then siphon off into clean sterilised bottles and cork.Keep as long as possible before drinking !.

Recipe No 2 :-Sweet Mead.
    4lb -4 1/2 honey dissolved in enough water to make 1 gallon
    previously activated yeast
    Follow the method for dry mead as previous.
    If at the end of the fermentation the mead is not sweet enough,add another 4 ounces of warmed honey and stir up the contents of the vessel.Replace the airlock and leave for a further 3 weeks.

General note.
    Stronger flavoured honeys make for a more intense "mead" flavour.Higher alchohol content can give "off" flavours.Mead definately improves with time - don't drink it "too young" let it mature.Whil'st simple,this recipe was the winner and best in show at the Royal Show in the 70's.The honey used was Lime which gave a pale mead and the mead had matured for 1 year before the show.
    Last edited by GRIZZLY; 11-10-2011 at 12:22 PM. Reason: forgot to add honey etc in recipe 2

Blog Entries

mead in the Guardian