Thread: dysentery

Default dysentery

Well done gavin on setting up this forum, a Scottish beekeeping forum has been long overdue. To stimulate some discussion, has anyone noticed increased cases of dysentery this winter? I have 2 of my hives with the tell tale brown stains (excrement) around the entrance/front of hive. I know there are several reasons for dysentery but the obvious one that jumps out at me is the very bad winter we are in the midst of, with the bees not having many opportunities to leave the hive to defecate. This means the abdomen is likely to be distended and Yates states that when the rectum weight of the bee equals a third weight of the bee comb soiling starts, half weight of the bee dysentery is certain. The books say there is not much you can do to treat dysentery, just that 'warm syrup is said to be helpful'. I am leaving them be for now but will have a look inside on the first mild day before I decide what to do. cheers, ajtony

Blog Entries

Hi ajtony

Thanks for posting! I'm so pleased to see people posting from more and places, and it is nice to have someone from Moray. I hope that you don't mind me moving the thread to the Bee Health area.

Dysentery is - as you know - telling you that there is something wrong. OK, it does seem possible that the long cold periods have contributed, but in other countries the same types of bee can go for longer periods in the winter without distress.

Have they been more active than other colonies that didn't show dysentery? That might also indicate that something unsettling them. I've seen dysentery in colonies where a mouse had gained entry for example.

Of course Nosema could be at the root of this. If you have access to a microscope you could scrape off a decent sample of the spots, add a little water, and check under high power for spores. If you can't do this, PM me and I'll try to help. If that is the problem, feeding with Fumadil-laced syrup might help, as would comb changes if the colonies make it into spring.

gavin, I haven't had a look inside yet so i don't know how bad it is, or not. One of the colonies was given to me a few weeks ago after being rescued from an apiary that had flooded twice in 6 weeks so that could have something to do with that one. The other was at the heather and although I did heavy feed when they came home, there are those who feel that heather honey in the brood chamber over winter can cause dysentery. As soon as we get a mild enough day I intend to have a look inside, and if the colonies are strong enough, and the probelm persists, I plan do do a shook swarm in early spring. I'll let you know what i find.