Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Horsley v Snelgrove

I used the Horsley boards for 3 or 4 splits last year with mixed success. Two worked fine ... the others dwindled and the queens scarpered or were lost.

It seems guidance on their use is generally poor and, above the board, bees need feeding throughout or at least until there are plenty of flying bees or they are opened right up to the boxes below.

The slides worked well in keeping the bees in their intended boxes.

I'll try again this year, assuming colonies ever reach maturity after such a long cold Spring.

I might also try converting one of my boards to a Morris board but again, does someone have tried-and-tested guidance on using these?

Horsley boards; I am reasonably familiar with them. Plenty of feeding as necessary is essential to success, as indeed it is in any situation where colonies are divided.
    I have no knowledge of Morris boards, but if you go to http://www.docstoc.com/docs/71463098 you may find it helpful, it's an article by Michael Badger. I think converting a Horsley board to a Morris board would be difficult, it would probably be best to start with a purpose built one. I have never seen a Morris board and would be fascinated to hear your experiences if you decide to go ahead. Have you heard of a Curry board?

I see what you mean about converting a Horsley board to a Morris board ... very different! It seems these board are variously described but does anyone know of them being sold nowadays? They have quite a history it seems. BTW, the docstoc article has to be paid for to be downloaded so not as handy as I had hoped. Back to the workbench I guess, if I want to try it out.

I saved the original article from my digital edition of Beecraft (although I don't receive this anymore?)
    If you pm me your email I will send it to you for free.

That's very kind. My email's on its way to you.
    Kate

Quote Originally Posted by Kate Atchley View Post
    ................. BTW, the docstoc article has to be paid for to be downloaded so not as handy as I had hoped.....................

I'm at a loss to understand that. I checked that it was available immediately before posting and checked again just now - there seems to be no problem here. ( just recalled a joke re the Reverend Ian Paisley and the Pope - I'll leave it rest)
    If there are problems feel free to ask - I have the gist of how to make it now, how to use it, is of course a different matter

This is a useful thread. I am planning to make three horsley boards. What's the best way to secure the slide? Do you have a link to the place you got the Perspex cut?

Hi Kitta, do you still have the PDF for the horsley board, and if so could you send me a copy? Thank you

Senior Member Mellifera Crofter's Avatar
    Aberdeenshire, on top of a wind-swept and exposed hill.

A link to the article is here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/0z8ed1bzgk...board.pdf?dl=0

I'm using my phone, so if the link is a dud, let me know.

Kitta

Senior Member Mellifera Crofter's Avatar
    Aberdeenshire, on top of a wind-swept and exposed hill.

I've just tried to open it, and it did not work. I'll try again tomorrow evening (or send me a message with your email address).
    Kitta