Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Horsley v Snelgrove

Blog Entries

Thanks for the advice. I get beecraft and have the article I am still unsure about what size/grade of screen and what material. I obviously don't want the Virgin Queen to travel down into the bottom boxes. Cushman made his from stainless steel, others use mild steel, some plastics, and some have heat/food exchange mesh. Also there are even double ones that could be used for Twinstock. I am however determined to make my own, I am going to borrow a friend's Stamfordham one as a template.

Blog Entries

Default Found Horsley board plans

After some digging around I found an informative information sheet from Practical Beekeeping not only with a nice drawing of dimensions and materials but also in it's use. Two different sets of information on use depending on whether the Queen is found or not.

You'll have gathered by now: I'm quite keen on Horsley boards ... and I've just bought some on eBay. They're a good deal better than my home made ones with a good-sized Qx panel. Contact Philip Hornby at <phil.hornby 'at' talktalk.net> if you're interested. He's making them from an over-supply of national crown boards and making a decent job of it. Good value too.

I'll be splitting 2nd-year-queen colonies before they swarm using the boards. Get at least one extra nuc each time, for increase or a beginner in the process.

Wonderful Spring so far out here in the west. Long may it last!

Kate
    Last edited by Kate Atchley; 13-05-2012 at 09:57 PM.

Hi to all

How have the Horsley board users been getting on with them ?

Quote Originally Posted by The Drone Ranger View Post
    Hi to all

How have the Horsley board users been getting on with them ?
    Is it not a trifle early for these appliances to have been in use? One can of course understand them being used in Yorkshire
    Morris boards are twice as good as Horsleys

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Bee View Post
    Is it not a trifle early for these appliances to have been in use? One can of course understand them being used in Yorkshire
    Morris boards are twice as good as Horsleys
    Ha ha !
    Yes but the thread is 2 years old so a couple of seasons have gone by for testing
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-New-and-...item232ab42202
    somebody on ebay selling them not too dear if you use national hives
    Time to buy them if you have lost hives and want a safe split method and a new queen without losing chance of honey
    Last edited by The Drone Ranger; 05-05-2013 at 10:03 AM.

Ha ha !
    Yes but the thread is 2 years old so a couple of seasons have gone by for testing
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-New-and-...item232ab42202
    somebody on ebay selling them not too dear if you use national hives
    Time to buy them if you have lost hives and want a safe split method and a new queen without losing chance of honey
    I see, so you asked the question and choose the wording to be as misleading as possible?
    Or perhaps you had no idea what a Horsley board is and was hoping someone would let a little information slip. Is "the someone on E Bay" yourself, is it you that is selling them? They are not very good examples of the Horsley Board makers art.
    Seriously those metal slides will not stop through traffic for very long if at all, have a look at Dave Cushmans site, there is a better example there. The Basterfield board is a simpler derivative of the Snellgrove and might be within the abilities of more people to make for themselves.

Hi Dark Bee
    Sorry about that I didn't mean to be ambiguous
    Re- Ebay seller that's not me I only have Smith hives so they wouldn't fit.
    Haven't heard of Basterfield board
    I did a step by step of making a Snelgrove board
    That's on the SBA website among the hive plans etc. they are very easy
    I have one Horsley board made by Stamfordham bees had it for years it looks nice (I haven't used it )
    Bought on a whim to make up order for free postage

Hi Dark Bee
    Sorry about that I didn't mean to be ambiguous
    Re- Ebay seller that's not me I only have Smith hives so they wouldn't fit.
    Haven't heard of Basterfield board
    I did a step by step of making a Snelgrove board
    That's on the SBA website among the hive plans etc. they are very easy
    I have one Horsley board made by Stamfordham bees had it for years it looks nice (I haven't used it )
    Bought on a whim to make up order for free postage
    You are not fooling me, I know you are the e Bay seller with the dodgy Horsley boards. There are some very upset Yorkshire men around now.
    The good Mr Basterfield, the eponymous Mr Basterfield decided that two entrances would be sufficient on a Snelgrove board (thus making himself very popular with DIY'ers - he may have intended running for parliament). One entrance is on the top and the other is on the bottom, but on opposite edges of the board i.e. they are 18" apart on national hives.
    The hive is turned 180', combs are split between the two boxes, Q. in bottom box, top entrance of board open and on the side where the original hive entrance was. By turning the board around bees can be directed into whichever box is appropiate. I've not used it so cannot speak from experience. Northern Bee Books have a booklet on it in their Nutshell series.
    P.S. very impressed that you use Smith hives, Willie was a decent old stick.
    Last edited by Dark Bee; 05-05-2013 at 06:57 PM.

Wheres the fun in that ?
    Taking down the top boxes to move the board ?
    No no no ~ give me the easy life, opening and shutting doors then off down the beach for a spot of sunbathing

(posted in a Tony Hancock "nearly an armful " style)
    Last edited by The Drone Ranger; 05-05-2013 at 05:49 PM.