Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dodgy deals?

Blog Entries

Default Dodgy deals?

Well-established beekeeper turns to rearing queens and nucs to supplement income. Or rather he keeps the reared queens for himself, and actually supplies his oldest (and worn-out?) queens. Normal practice or a dodgy dealer? Opinions?

Blog Entries

Dodgy in my opinion.
    I give away older queens I am replacing if anyone wants them, and I make it clear they are a couple of years old and surplus to requirements.
    Some older queens can still be very good layers but you would need to make it clear to the purchaser what he is getting.
    I think that a nuc should have the current year's queen in it and it should also have been laying in it for several weeks before sale as opposed to being added to brood and bees from another queen a couple of days before the sale.
    A UK nuc sold in spring would have a queen from the previous year.
    There is such an interest in beekeeping these days that it has brought out the greed in a few people.

Did you see what Thorne charge?

Blog Entries

I would be appalled at anyone selling a 'nuc' with an elderly queen. This year I sold a nuc with an overwintered (mated September) queen early in the year, one with an early mated queen who was actually a supersedure queen who got lost on her mating flight and landed in a hedge (a smashing girl from a really good colony) and a nuc that was an artifical swarm early in the year. All with their own offspring. I keep my old girls until the bees themselves replace them as I have sufficient colonies to provide replacement queens if the bees miscalculate. However, as I've been increasing colony numbers so as to have nucs for those who want them, I now find myself with a surplus! At least overwintered nucs have proved their hardiness so there's something to be said for them!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Trog View Post
    At least overwintered nucs have proved their hardiness so there's something to be said for them!
    An overwintered nuc with the previous summer's queen purchased in April or May is the best deal you can get.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    An overwintered nuc with the previous summer's queen purchased in April or May is the best deal you can get.
    That seems right to me, Jon!

I guess the worst would be to pay good money for a nuc which has been assembled with a view to supplying a box with a loud buzz for the bucks, but at its core has an old queen the seller wants rid of - and foists it off on inexperienced beekeepers. You'll guess this isn't a purely hypothetical example I'm constructing here! Once bitten, twice shy.

Blog Entries

How did you know it was an old queen?

fancy one of these
    always this season guaranteed
    I'll take the overwintered one with her own bees thanks
    Last edited by The Drone Ranger; 12-08-2011 at 06:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Trog View Post
    How did you know it was an old queen?
    Marked yellow by someone who correctly uses the queen marking scheme = 2007?

Blog Entries

Surely someone wanting to pass off old queens as young ones heading nucs wouldn't mark them? (I don't mark mine, but for other reasons!)

Not A normal business practice. Shame on him if he's not informing his cutomers of this. Dodgy dude if you ask me.....