Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dodgy deals?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Trog View Post
    How did you know it was an old queen?
    Now that's a good question! I don't know, I just suspect - from the tatty marking, clipped wing, no unsealed brood in the nuc when I got it (despite there being pollen and stores and being good weather), that within a couple of weeks the workers superseded her, despite there being by then plenty of space in the hive and plenty of forage to go for. If it was definitely knowable, I don't suppose the supplier would risk it. I mention it because another beekeeper has - quite unprompted - raised the same suspicion.

Enough said on this, I guess: it seems I'm not alone in thinking it sharp practice.

I'm sure it's very tempting to sell of a queen that is old or, say, or has been proven to produce ratty bees. Sling her in a box with a couple of frames of docile carnis and its £100 or more. Easy money. I have sold a few nucs this year and last and I am careful to sell the best I can. Each nuc is checked the day it leaves for the presence of the queen, eggs; no queencells, plenty of brood with a solid brood pattern (all hers) plus enough stores. I can tell the recipient the queen's mother, the emergence day and when she started laying. If I can do it, there is no reason why all nucs shpould not have that information with them if desired.

A reputation is difficult to gain - so easy to lose.