View Poll Results: Is SBA membership keeping pace with the growth in beekeeping

Voters
7. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

2 28.57%
  • no

5 71.43%
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Should the SBA membership be growing faster??

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nellie View Post
    I saw the repeats on here I think.
    LOL! Yes you did, but the repeats were the condensed versions. I'm cautious what I say now in case I'm accused of using the forum to air my own opinion too much, but the SBA lost a lot of respect in those years ... and at the same time polarised the membership. Some loved the muck-stirring, others bemoaned the lack of clear thought. It didn't have to be like that. It is time to shed the negative attitude and move ahead, informed and well-argued. I hope. However the business that caused me to resign was essentially more of the same. An inability to look at the facts and think about the reality rather than going on a gut reaction. And even going with a scientist going on gut reaction too, what a total nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by Droney
    Gavin for webmaster 1 vote(mine)
    Yeah, thanks DL. I've made it plain that I'm not going back on the Executive while they are engaged in a wasteful and ill thought out venture with a scientist who doesn't know what he's doing. I prefer to be out and therefore free to criticise.

Feel free to advertise Bee Craft by the way. As long as it doesn't advertise imports My subscription lapsed and I don't miss it greatly.

DL you are absolutely right about the quality of the Scottish Beekeeper over time. It has had its ups and downs ... hopefully it is on the up again. That depends on a willingness to reject substandard stuff and encourage better-quality pieces.

Blog Entries

You got any stuff on ley lines?

Blog Entries

No, I'll leave that to Roger. Did have a hive affected by alien abduction once though

Blog Entries

Crystals?

Blog Entries

The secret power of the Pyramid Hive.

Blog Entries

oooo.

It's got so ridiculous nowadays I'm surprised no-ones trying to push it.

I don't know what they pay the editor of SB, but I'd hazard a guess that it's not a full time job while I'll also go out on a limb and suggest that bee craft must be paying a few editorial if not administrative staff to do the work to get the magazine published.
    Actually thats what they wrote to the previous SB editor about He was convinced they had a large full time staff he was very wrong

Quote Originally Posted by gavin View Post
    Like all SBA posts the editor gets no remuneration but only hassle from the disgruntled.

As I said, the magazine has been repeatedly discussed, including at meetings of the membership, and I think that the new editor needs some peace on that front.

He could perhaps benefit from a helpful team around him to share the various burdens including the kind of editing functions that DL described for Bee Craft.
    The previous editor in a reply to my moans said he edited the magazine after everything else in life had been attended to (presumably after the cat was put out for the night)
    I wasn't overly impressed he took the job because he wanted it not at gunpoint so it's not unreasonable to expect some commitment even from a volunteer.

The new ED is actually editing the mag which is great, there are more photo's etc but he needs a better vehicle than the one we have if advertisers and contributors are to appear regularily.
    How would the Scottish Beekeeper magazine cope with an article on cell punching?? not well I think
    How would Beecraft ??

Quote Originally Posted by gavin View Post
    LOL! Yes you did, but the repeats were the condensed versions. I'm cautious what I say now in case I'm accused of using the forum to air my own opinion too much, but the SBA lost a lot of respect in those years ... and at the same time polarised the membership. Some loved the muck-stirring, others bemoaned the lack of clear thought. It didn't have to be like that. It is time to shed the negative attitude and move ahead, informed and well-argued. I hope. However the business that caused me to resign was essentially more of the same. An inability to look at the facts and think about the reality rather than going on a gut reaction. And even going with a scientist going on gut reaction too, what a total nonsense.

t

Yeah, thanks DL. I've made it plain that I'm not going back on the Executive while they are engaged in a wasteful and ill thought out venture with a scientist who doesn't know what he's doing. I prefer to be out and therefore free to criticise.

Feel free to advertise Bee Craft by the way. As long as it doesn't advertise imports My subscription lapsed and I don't miss it greatly.

DL you are absolutely right about the quality of the Scottish Beekeeper over time. It has had its ups and downs ... hopefully it is on the up again. That depends on a willingness to reject substandard stuff and encourage better-quality pieces.
    Hey that guy aint so dumb tonto thinks 1.8mil of funding that will do nicely sir
    I hated the years of ranting and complained once every couple of years to be told I was unpatriotic ungrateful and a nuisance -- thats about right I thought

Beecraft--Now they are not writing about their own past editors and Bulgaria etc all the time it has really raised its game (I think)

Scottish Beekeeper A4 full colour ?? we can hope
    Last edited by The Drone Ranger; 11-08-2011 at 01:07 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Drone Ranger View Post
    Actually thats what they wrote to the previous SB editor about He was convinced they had a large full time staff he was very wrong
    I didn't say large. If you tell me they don't have a full time editor and full time administrator then my flabber will be gasted for sure And I dare say they aren't paying freelancers £230 per 1,000 word article which is the going rate for magazines like BeeCraft according to the NUJ.

Blog Entries

Goodness, if the SB was similar (which it isn't) I could have afforded a *much* better car (or bicycle). Now that we're talking cash, Bee Craft must be raking in maybe £0.5m annually on subscriptions alone (guessing off the top of the head on numbers of subscribers). Plus advertising. What does it do with all that cash if it isn't employing staff? Can't cost *that* much to print and send the thing, can it?

Blog Entries

oooo.

It's got so ridiculous nowadays I'm surprised no-ones trying to push it.
    Have you not noticed that some versions of TBHs are actually like inverted pyramids in cross-section? I think where they have gone wrong is that cross-section isn't enough, it has to be the full 3D object. And the right way up. For me, that explains why some of the main proponents have such trouble with losing hives due to Varroa, they didn't get the shape quite right.

Bottom Bar Hives. Got to be the way forward.