Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: It's me gammy leg!

Blog Entries

Default It's me gammy leg!

I have seen 4 queens with a paralysed back right leg this year, all grafted from the same mother. The one in the video is not laying but others have flown and mated, producing fairly patchy brood which is hardly surprising.

I am speculating that this is a genetic defect caused by a gene from a single one of the drones the mother queen mated with as I have seen 4 queens like this out of about 60.

Could this be possible if the gene does not have a detrimental effect in the drone? Drones being haploid should not be carrying lethal genes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxVslbbSjNo

Blog Entries

Was that the new camera? Looked like a better quality image.

It certainly suggests that genetics are involved if they are all from the same mother. Presumably your drone colonies were contributing to queens from other mothers too? If that is the case and they didn't show the defect then the mother must be a source of the gammy leg gene too.

That spoils your 1 in 15 single-drone hypothesis but it could still be a genetic trait.

Queen mother carries a recessive gene for the trait - Aa (and doesn't show anything) (gene a for arthritic of course)

*two* out of 15 drones are a

Daughter queens come in the aa form in half of two fifteenths ie 1 in 15.

Alternatively, something about the daughters of these queens caused the mating colony to knee-cap the poor virgin. Dodgy territory here referring to knee-capping in an Irish bee.

Its fun to speculate.

Blog Entries

This is the queen I swapped one of mine for last summer. It is a Galtee daughter and mated with presumably mainly galtee drones at the other apiary. That is Mervyn's hand you can see in the video and he said he had never seen this in any of his own queens. 4 queens all with a gammy right back leg. It must be an inheritable genetic trait. I am just curious re. how it has come about.
    Last edited by Jon; 04-08-2011 at 01:27 AM.

Blog Entries

Now that you have saturated Belfast with your preferred queens, you could always experiment! Do you have eggs from one of those arthritic queens?

If it is a single dominant gene (A causing the gammy leg) then the gammy legged queen will probably be Aa. Assuming her daughters mate with normal drones, 50% of the queens raised by that queen will have a gammy leg (unless they are unfit prior to mating in which case the frequency could be lower).

If it is a single recessive gene (a causing the gammy leg) then the gammy legged queen will be aa. Her daughters will show the trait again anytime one mates with a drone carrying a, which is probably at a low frequency and will change from mating site to mating site (try some at your dad's apiary and see if the trait disappears).

Then you can write a wee paper on it!

Do folk in the Galtee group see this trait sometimes?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gavin View Post

Do folk in the Galtee group see this trait sometimes?
    I asked Mervyn the same question but he had never heard any mention of it.
    The queen was open mated at his apiary so assuming it is a genetic problem it is not necessarily related to galtee bees.
    I sent him the video link which featured his own fair hand so he can forward that to interested parties.

probably at a low frequency and will change from mating site to mating site
    4 queens is probably a frequency of about 5% judging by the number of queens I have seen this year although if the defect impairs flying or mating it could also account for a few disappearing queens. The other 3 mated and started laying.

I'm pleased you lashed out on a new camera Jon.

Is there anywhere - an idiots guide to genes and crosses etc available? I see words like alleles and homozygous and such like but know little about it all.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Adam View Post
    I'm pleased you lashed out on a new camera Jon.

Is there anywhere - an idiots guide to genes and crosses etc available? I see words like alleles and homozygous and such like but know little about it all.
    You shamed me into spending £79 on the camera. I'll have to eat cardboard until the end of the month or scavenge for roots.

Gavin or Jimbo have a moral obligation to clarify these things for the rest of us.

Or failing that just google allele definition, heterosis definition etc.

Blog Entries

I hovered over the link, thousands wouldn't!

This seems reasonably good:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Introduction_to_genetics

Bear in mind that male bees are unfertilised and therefore have only one set of genes. But you knew that anyway.

Then you can move on to honeybee genetics:

http://www.glenn-apiaries.com/genetics.html

Blog Entries

That glenn apiaries site is always a good read.

I have been e-mailing Philip one of our bka members re this gammy leg and he reckoned that if I see it in some queens I should see it in some workers.
    Makes sense I suppose as you are starting with the same dna in the egg and the difference between a queen and a worker is nutrition.
    I checked the colony earlier this evening with a view to perusing the workers. To quote Peter Cook, I didn't see any workers deficient in the leg department to the tune of one.
    The novelty is that I did find a large black queen unclipped and unmarked which was laying. The gammy leg mother queen has/had a clipped wing and a nice blue spot on her.
    It looks like she has been superseded but there has never been a brood break in this colony as I have been grafting from it every week.
    I have not seen a supersedure cell and this colony made no attempt to swarm this year as it has not made queen cells.
    The other possibility is that a virgin flew in, was accepted and took over. I notice from my records that the last time I saw the marked queen was July 4th.
    This new queen does look exactly like all her other daughters though. She is much bigger as well.

I picked up a small swarm near one of my hives as I mentioned on another thread.
    The queen is jet black and a bit smaller than I would see normally.
    The swarm was so small I would have classed it as a cast if the queen hadn't been marked.
    At first I thought I had dropped a queen from one of the nearby hives but that turned out not to be the case and I didn't have many queens that matched the description to look for.
    Detective work over she had flown in and is now in a nucleus hive which is making slow progress.
    Her back legs appear not to be working either.
    If this is genetic I don't want that in my gene pool I just though she had been slightly injured
    If there are any missin letters in this post its because some bits of toast got under the keys