Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Honey jars

I sell honey in hex jars with a weight of 350g. They sell in a local shop at £3.95. I had some 454g jars which sold for £1 more but customers were reluctant to spend the extra money even though the honey was better value. We live in hard times! My prices are more than supermarkets and customers will pay the higher price for quality.

There are some people who I have spoken to who say that local honey has definitely helped with their allergies and honey from India will not do that. Honey needs to be taken for months or a year or two for it to work it seems. I assume it's the pollen in small quantities that helps the immune system build up resistance. I wonder if I could bottle and sell the sludge that blocks the fine honey strainer as a high potency anti-allergy remedy?

Here's another supplier of jars http://www.colouredbottles.co.uk/sto...ars-hexagonal/

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lindsay s View Post
    Dare I start a debate on rip off local honey verses cheap supermarket honey?
    There's no comparison in mho. Having only ever tried supermarket honey I always believed that I 'didn't like honey'. That was until I was asked to be the judges assistant at our local honey show a couple of years ago. I cringed when I found out I would need to taste almost every jar! That was such an eye opener for me- the honeys were lovely nothing like the cheap blended stuff I'd had before and I could't get over the variety of flavours. I'm now a convert and no longer one of those 'strange people' Gavin referred to in another thread.

Blog Entries

I'm still not a huge honey fan, but most of my original "dislike" was for the bland guff passed off as honey. I gave a few people who held similar opinion a jar of honey from each of my apiaries (only a couple of miles apart) and, like me, they were astonished at the difference; between the two jars, let alone between my stuff and the supermarket stuff.

I'll sit on my hands when it comes to expressing an opinion about honey shows though

I had some lavender honey at a hotel some time ago and it nearly blew my head off! I wasn't too keen at the time but it was a bit like lime pickle - in that there was so much going on in my senses.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Adam View Post
    I had some lavender honey at a hotel some time ago and it nearly blew my head off!
    Lavender honey is the most sort after down here.But it's all a *snob* thing.Half the people can't even recognize it. I've stopped selling it now, and just go for "wild mountain flower" mix. At least that way we don't get the East Anglians coming down here sniffing the jars

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nellie View Post

I'll sit on my hands when it comes to expressing an opinion about honey shows though
    The local ones are good fun and a great way of getting the children interested & involved- especially in the baking categories.
    We'd like to go to the Scottish one in September to see what it's like but are busy that weekend.

Blog Entries

Two's enough for me. I think if I hadn't endured them from start to finish I might be a little more enthusiastic about them. Get why people want to enter them, but when you're watching some guy shine a torch through the 50th jar of honey then it starts to wear a little thin

Quote Originally Posted by Nellie View Post
    Two's enough for me. I think if I hadn't endured them from start to finish I might be a little more enthusiastic about them. Get why people want to enter them, but when you're watching some guy shine a torch through the 50th jar of honey then it starts to wear a little thin
    Dundee Flower Show
    I was horribly dissapointed to find you didn't get to eat any of the honey !!
    Some guys have been entering the same jars for years.
    Its like a wine tasting where you don't even get to spit in a bucket wheres the fun in that?