Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Late nucleus/colony start - few beginners questions

Quote Originally Posted by Nellie View Post
    I think you're all bonkers putting 12 frames in But I stand corrected. I hate messing with 12 frames.
    I'm with you Nellie a spacer board -- thats the first thing out on inspection - then work you way through the frames - at the finish the spacer now goes back in the other side of the broodbox.

Blog Entries

Rather than start up a new thread I thought I'd tag this in here. For the first time since the beginning of April every box I have with bees in it also has a laying queen, result.

With an Eye towards winter, I feel that some of these Nucs are currently too small covering just 2 frames of brood at the moment and a full 14x12 with a mere 3 frames of brood. I know there's time yet and I've got plenty of frames of honey to go round, but when it comes to wintering Nucs, how much brood/bees would be considered viable to get through winter?

Blog Entries

Swap out frames of eggs/larvae for frames of emerging brood from strong colonies and build them up that way. Plenty of time yet and they will pile in the pollen and rear a lot of brood once the ivy starts in September.
    Last edited by Jon; 10-08-2011 at 08:54 PM.

Blog Entries

The ivy is starting around here already!