Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: K-wing = Acarine Mite

Blog Entries

Default K-wing = Acarine Mite

Well, having just recently boasted that as the only beekeeper here in Orosay I am free of varroa and other diseases and pests, I have today noticed a few bees with what appeared to be two wings on one or both sides. And worse still I seem to be finding a lot of dead bees outside the hives which on inspection most if not all have this condition. So I quickly found myself reading up on Acarine Mite. The books I have recommend treating with Folbex VA, but supply of this appears to have been banned under EU legislation. And something the EU specializes in: no alternative has been approved. Any suggestions? Crucial, as after having got down to just one colony I've just in the past week harvested supersedure queen cells which I'm using to divide that colony. So hopefully lots of new young bees - all of which in first 9 days will be vulnerable to Acarine Mite! Anyone have experience in using the grease patty method?
    Last edited by Neonach; 07-08-2011 at 10:20 PM.

Blog Entries

Well what I meant to say of course is that the wings on one side (or both) are at an unusual angle to each other, compared to the other side.

Its pretty easy to check for acarine a good magnifying glass and a pair if tweasers are all you would need

One of the Thymol treatments will nail the pest if you find it

http://www.vita-europe.com/products/Apiguard
    Last edited by The Drone Ranger; 23-07-2011 at 11:47 PM.

Blog Entries

Yup. Most Varroa treatments will also control acarine.

Blog Entries

Thnaks folks for the help ;~)

The bee inspector had a wee look at my colonies this spring and said that he doesn't consider acarine as a problem now that thymol is used as a varroa treatment.

Blog Entries

No varroa in Orosay, so whilst it is good to know that Thymol will deal with acarine mite, I'm reluctant to apply a strong chemical treatment un-necessarily. Instead I'm getting together the materials to make a grease patty: shortening (aka Atora light), caster sugar, and menthol. It is certainly cheaper, and avoids build up of resistance, but whether effective is less certain. Though not mentioned in UK official bee health information I understand that grease patties are widely used in USA even though they have varroa and treat it with thymol. Incidentally I have decapitated a few recently deceased bees and inspected their 'tubes': everything nice and creamy white, not a sign of blotchiness, but then its the first time I've done it so not entirely sure I know what I'm looking at or for, and my magnifying glass would not look out of place in the hand of a philatelists hand. Anyone have any recommendations for kitting myself out to do this reasonably properly - but economically?
    Last edited by Neonach; 07-08-2011 at 10:20 PM.

Blog Entries

Update on K-wing symptoms. Bees crawling in grass phenomenon suddenly stopped yesterday: bees now seem normal/healthy. Could have been a temporary case of paralysis caused by contaminated pollen? Can't think what sort of contamination it might be - no pesticides or other nasties used round here at all. Thorough 9-day examination due on Thursday, so wait and see. Plenty of other things to do until then, so must stop fretting!

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Bridge View Post
    No varroa in Uist, so whilst it is good to know that Thymol will deal with acarine mite, I'm reluctant to apply a strong chemical treatment un-necessarily. Instead I'm getting together the materials to make a grease patty: shortening (aka Atora light), caster sugar, and menthol. It is certainly cheaper, and avoids build up of resistance, but whether effective is less certain. Though not mentioned in UK official bee health information I understand that grease patties are widely used in USA even though they have varroa and treat it with thymol. Incidentally I have decapitated a few recently deceased bees and inspected their 'tubes': everything nice and creamy white, not a sign of blotchiness, but then its the first time I've done it so not entirely sure I know what I'm looking at or for, and my magnifying glass would not look out of place in the hand of a philatelists hand. Anyone have any recommendations for kitting myself out to do this reasonably properly - but economically?
    something like this stereo microscope
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Apex-Exa...1720377&sr=8-1

Blog Entries

I very much doubt that Bayvarol will do the job as it is a contact acaricide and the mite is hidden within the tracheae. I would recommend Apiguard and then Diane Sammaturo (sp?) recommends the prophylactic use of a grease patty placed on top of the brood frames. Mix is crisco and sugar 2lb sugar to one pound crisco. Menthol impregnated towels ( menthol dissolved in canola) are also said to work but you need to use a microwave to heat and dissolve the menthol which I would immagine stink the house out.