Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Apistan

Default Apistan

I have read that Apistan can be used during the honey flow I have also read that Apistan should not be used during the honey flow anyone know what is correct.

Blog Entries

It is not supposed to be used during honey flow as you will end up with contaminated honey in the supers.

Blog Entries

The Apistan website says "No detectable residue in honey" http://www.vita-europe.com/products/Apistan I was under the impression that it could be used with supers on?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nematode View Post
    The Apistan website says "No detectable residue in honey"
    Yep, it does say that. On the other hand, Aubert et al. 2008 gives the following: for 226 samples analysed, the average content of tau-fluvalinate (active ingredient of Apistan) in the HONEY was 44.7 microgrammes per kilogramme. Of course this does not mean that its presence came from the application of Apistan...............................

The Food and Environment Research Agency (FERA) leaflet on Managing Varroa gives a varroacides table on page 23 which states that Apistan can be used during honey flow. This is why the question was asked.

Blog Entries

edit
    Last edited by Jon; 23-07-2011 at 07:39 PM.

ebee

Its a funny thing that I do believe it used to be definitely recommended not to use it during the honey flow
    Thats really why it was used in September mostly after the supers were off,
    Sometimes it best to make your own judgement I wouldn't use it myself.

Do you have a varroa problem at the moment and supers still on ?

Blog Entries

That's why I did the edit above. I was sure it could not possible that it is permitted to use Apistan when supers are on but the fera website does say that.
    Sounds a bit dodgy to me. I certainly would not risk getting it in the honey.

Default Apistan

Drone Ranger, I don't have a varroa problem I was just reading the FERA leaflet about Varroa control and wondered what people thoughts were I suppose it is up to the individual, typical beekeeping.

I was always under the impression that you do not use any chemical treatments when you have supers on. In an emergency you take the supers off if you have to treat.