Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Mod 2 section 8 & 17

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by EmsE View Post
    The link below is for the BBKA forum where they discussed the issue of re-using honey jars with a link to European law part way down the thread.

http://www.bbka.org.uk/members/forum.php?c=2&f=7&t=5212
    That cant be right. Here in Germany the glasses just became pfand glasses which means they have to have a deposit on them. Which means we must be able to reuse them, as noone is buying them back of us- or at least there has been no instruction that we cant. Of course I sterilise mine and do a visual check that they are ok, weither new or returns (had more bad glasses new than returned strangely).

Montgomery, Wales....turn west for England

Back shortly on this one...swap you a raincheck on EFN in plum compared with cherry. Be helpful if they said which plum and which cherry as both prunus and cherry plum exists too.

Quote Originally Posted by Calum View Post
    That cant be right. Here in Germany the glasses just became pfand glasses which means they have to have a deposit on them. Which means we must be able to reuse them, as noone is buying them back of us- or at least there has been no instruction that we cant. Of course I sterilise mine and do a visual check that they are ok, weither new or returns (had more bad glasses new than returned strangely).
    Supposedly something deep in the packaging regs on reuse of plastics, glass etc. I still haven't the original legislation details. Calum, are the packs of jars labelled as reuseable?
    Last edited by susbees; 05-02-2012 at 10:38 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by susbees View Post
    Back shortly on this one...swap you a raincheck on EFN in plum compared with cherry. Be helpful if they said which plum and which cherry as both prunus and cherry plum exists too.
    I spent a few evenings trying to find something about the plum EFN's too. There was only 1 picture I could find and that was on a gardening forum where someone was worried about the red lumps on his plum tree that the ants were eating. http://www.helpfulgardener.com/phpBB...ic.php?t=36010]They looked to be in the same place as the cherry. Yates covered the broad bean, cherry laurel, cherry and then bracken, but no plum? All the reference I've found seem to group the cherry and the plum together, but only show pictures of the cherry tree.

Unfortunately we can't check the plum trees before the exam to see for ourselves.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by EmsE View Post
    I spent a few evenings trying to find something about the plum EFN's too. There was only 1 picture I could find and that was on a gardening forum where someone was worried about the red lumps on his plum tree that the ants were eating. http://www.helpfulgardener.com/phpBB...ic.php?t=36010]They looked to be in the same place as the cherry. Yates covered the broad bean, cherry laurel, cherry and then bracken, but no plum? All the reference I've found seem to group the cherry and the plum together, but only show pictures of the cherry tree.

Unfortunately we can't check the plum trees before the exam to see for ourselves.
    If you put 'prunus extrafloral nectaries' into Google Images you'll see them on petioles (red glands) and near the leaf midrib in a variety of Prunus species. I'm not sure whether there is a consistent difference between cherries and plums.

In bird cherry the plant responds to herbovore-like injury by increasing the production of them - cool, innit?!

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/1...440.x/abstract

G.

Blog Entries

PS Was particularly proud of these pictures last year. Field bean.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by susbees View Post
    Supposedly something deep in the packaging regs on reuse of plastics, glass etc. I still haven't the original legislation details. Calum, are the packs of jars labelled as reuseable?
    Hi Susbees,
    no the jars are not, but the standardised labels are for german honey, and bavarian honey have returnable glass (for money) printed on them (its now the law here since last year).

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gavin View Post
    PS Was particularly proud of these pictures last year. Field bean.]
    understandably so! How do you manage to be in the right place at the right time?

Blog Entries

Well, I have an old interest in field bean professionally, dormant for many years. Then folk realised that we are heading for a protein crisis, and two of the main salmon feed manufacturers thought of using protein from bean flour to supplement salmon rations. That has the potential to make the UK more self-sufficient, add nitrogen to the soil for subsequent crops, and displace soy imports. All good things.

Last summer we grew some bean lines from our seed store. The bumble bees were from a commercial colony used to pollinate one particularly interesting bean line in a polythene tunnel, and the ants just found them by themselves. Now we have a grant and are getting going properly ...

Quote Originally Posted by gavin View Post
    I'm not sure whether there is a consistent difference between cherries and plums.

G.
    Yes, but you'd expect there to be some recordable difference to put both separately in the one question?

(Thanks Calum)