Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Mod 2 section 8 & 17

Blog Entries

Then it's probably me that's got it wrong, off to check, back soon.

[edit] Hmmm, generally "most Varroacides" tend to be lumped together as being "thought" to be effective against Braula. Though for the most part it's simply not seen as a [serious] problem. Fluvalinate (Apistan), Flumethrin (Bayvarol), coumaphos (Perizin) Formic Acid (and presumably Oxalic Acid?) are certainly listed in some countries as treatments for Braula but I can't seem to find a document anywhere at the moment that says one way or another with regards to Thymol.

[edit edit] Aha!

Thymol and essential oils are widely used as acaricidal agents in the alternative therapy. Besides acaricidal activity, they act against the bee-louse (Braula coeca) and the tracheal mite (Acarapis woodi). Different concentrations and doses of thymol were tested independently or with various rate frequency, intervals and duration of treatment. The effectiveness established varied from 82% to 98.8% (NANETTI, 1996). The application of thymol in combination with other natural substances, such as essential oils and acids, enhanced its effect (BOGDANOV et al., 1999). The Swiss preparation Api-Life-Var that contained 75% thymol, 16.4% eucalyptol, 3.8% menthol, and 3.8% camphor manifested good acaricidal effectiveness within the range 95% to 98.6% (ABOU-ZAID et al., 1995; IMDORF et al., 1995; MOOSBECKHOFER, 1994).
    IN the discussion notes for a product called Metican that I found on the Apimondia site. Most of the articles around the place simply seems to assume that most acarcides are effective at killing them but because they aren't regarded as much of a problem no-one seems to have looked too closely at what does and doesn't.
    Last edited by Neils; 03-01-2012 at 08:29 PM.

Blog Entries

I don't think of the modules as homework (except frame sizes) or as part of formal studying as it is on topics I would be researching anyway, but use them as a means to keep me focused on a particular topic to a reasonable depth. By sitting the exam lets me gauge my understanding. Before I found I was trying to look into too many different things and wasn't really consolidating as much as I could.
    I also have a dream of being a honey judge when I grow up (in bee keeping terms that is) so certain modules are a must. The remaining modules all touch on things that I'm dying to know about so will be sitting those too one day.

Blog Entries

Just a slightly unrelated note on the Braula front. Tobacco in the smoker is apparently effective at getting rid of it and I'm sure I remember someone mentioning that at one point they were recommended to use Golden Virginia as a varroa treatment.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by EmsE View Post
    I don't think of the modules as homework (except frame sizes) or as part of formal studying as it is on topics I would be researching anyway, but use them as a means to keep me focused on a particular topic to a reasonable depth. By sitting the exam lets me gauge my understanding. Before I found I was trying to look into too many different things and wasn't really consolidating as much as I could.
    I also have a dream of being a honey judge when I grow up (in bee keeping terms that is) so certain modules are a must. The remaining modules all touch on things that I'm dying to know about so will be sitting those too one day.
    Couldn't agree with you more (except the bit about being a Honey Judge , good luck to you on that front, but it's not for me.)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by susbees View Post
    The Dave Cushman page is well out of date - the HMF derogation was changed with the replacement of the 1976 Regs in 2003 to ok for tropical honeys at that level only. The last section is explaining that pollen "footprints" differ throughout the world and some are quite specific to an area...allowing Trading Standards to know if honey is as labelled from pollen analysis (amongst other things). Expect there's a procedure to remember too but not got that far yet...
    It could also be something to bear in mind if claiming the honey is derived from nectar of particular plants too.

One thing I'm trying to find out (but may not be relevant) is that whilst the regulations state that the diastase activity should be not less than 4 (or 3 if the honey has a naturally low enzyme content) as this would indicate that the honey has been over heated, does the lower diastase activity on it's own have a negative impact on the honey? Or is it just a way of ensuring the honey hasn't been over processed.

Montgomery, Wales....turn west for England

Yikes...brain says 8&3 for diastase...can't check on phone thing or it will probably catapult me to alpha venturi or beyond. Later...

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

I need to learn how to do this on my phone!

I got the 4 & 3 from Yates, but it is an old copy. I've just checked Celia Davis & she does say 8.

I haven't looked at section 1 yet on the regulations - keeping that until I feel I can face it as it appears soooo dry. It was under one of the other sections it came up so I may need to go back and adjust a few things then once I've looked at the updated legislation.

Montgomery, Wales....turn west for England

I've spent three days off and on trying to straighten out the regs. Some of the county council advice for honey packer-type sheets are out-of-date which is daft. Where I'm still stuck is the bit which says you can't re-use jars now. To be honest after that little lot, a page on types of honey knives was FUN!

Blog Entries

The link below is for the BBKA forum where they discussed the issue of re-using honey jars with a link to European law part way down the thread.

http://www.bbka.org.uk/members/forum.php?c=2&f=7&t=5212
    Last edited by EmsE; 05-01-2012 at 09:47 PM.

Blog Entries

In section 2.19, you need to give a detailed account of the information that clover, field geranium, forget-me-not and the horse chestnut communicate to the honey bee.
    As they're listed separately I'm assuming that there are significant differences for each one? I have only been able to find some information on the horse chestnut, but not what I'd consider to be 'detailed'. Does anyone have any recommendations on where to look for more info on this?