Thread: Mod 2 section 8 & 17

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries

Then it's probably me that's got it wrong, off to check, back soon.

[edit] Hmmm, generally "most Varroacides" tend to be lumped together as being "thought" to be effective against Braula. Though for the most part it's simply not seen as a [serious] problem. Fluvalinate (Apistan), Flumethrin (Bayvarol), coumaphos (Perizin) Formic Acid (and presumably Oxalic Acid?) are certainly listed in some countries as treatments for Braula but I can't seem to find a document anywhere at the moment that says one way or another with regards to Thymol.

[edit edit] Aha!

Thymol and essential oils are widely used as acaricidal agents in the alternative therapy. Besides acaricidal activity, they act against the bee-louse (Braula coeca) and the tracheal mite (Acarapis woodi). Different concentrations and doses of thymol were tested independently or with various rate frequency, intervals and duration of treatment. The effectiveness established varied from 82% to 98.8% (NANETTI, 1996). The application of thymol in combination with other natural substances, such as essential oils and acids, enhanced its effect (BOGDANOV et al., 1999). The Swiss preparation Api-Life-Var that contained 75% thymol, 16.4% eucalyptol, 3.8% menthol, and 3.8% camphor manifested good acaricidal effectiveness within the range 95% to 98.6% (ABOU-ZAID et al., 1995; IMDORF et al., 1995; MOOSBECKHOFER, 1994).
    IN the discussion notes for a product called Metican that I found on the Apimondia site. Most of the articles around the place simply seems to assume that most acarcides are effective at killing them but because they aren't regarded as much of a problem no-one seems to have looked too closely at what does and doesn't.
    Last edited by Neils; 03-01-2012 at 08:29 PM.