Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mod 2 section 8 & 17

Blog Entries

Default Mod 2 section 8 & 17

Rather than trying to cram everything in at the last minute, this year I thought I would make an early start, especially as module 2 includes preparing for a honey show so will help me in our LA one in November. (some tough competition )

Section 8 asks for a detailed account of the preparation of section, cut comb & chunk honey for sale. I can find how to prepare it for the show, but that is covered in section 17 which leads me to think it is different?

Blog Entries

Just starting to look at Module 2 as well. Don't know for certain, but there is often some overlap in the syllabus/coursework when preparing for the modules so I wouldn't necessarily assume that they're asking for different things. Looking at the high level syllabus, I think they're the same thing covered in two different sections of the coursework I guess you could argue that you might not necessarily need to go to the same lengths to prepare honey for sale compared to putting it into a show but I'd say that they're essentially the same process.
    Last edited by Neils; 03-08-2011 at 08:47 PM.

Montgomery, Wales....turn west for England

You two still planning on sitting Mod 2 in March?

Would it be the actual prep for sale they're looking for? I assume that what's needed is
    Section
    type of sections
    Condition of colony
    Prep of the sections before giving to colony
    Weight of sections
    Packaging and compliant labelling

Cut comb
    How to cut - knife, cutter
    Packaging and labelling
    Draining
    Weights used(ie no adding liquid)

Chunk
    What type of comb to use (clean, capped)
    How much to use (I know none specified but explain that, and why)
    Chunk in first
    Packaging and labelling

I know I haven't covered everything but you get the idea.
    Best of luck to all doing modules or practicals.
    Eb

For sale, compliance with regulations and hygiene would be more important - in showing, hygiene is important but most shows don't require labels so labelling regs not so important - its the subtle difference in emphasis I suppose.
    Eb

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by susbees View Post
    You two still planning on sitting Mod 2 in March?
    I am- I've just sent my application form off so I can't back out. I've been a bit distracted from it recently so need to get back to looking at it all again.

Would it be the actual prep for sale they're looking for?
    Hi EB, it just states 'the preparation of...' Thanks you for the replies- it's helped the penny drop.

I know spouting the Honey Regs backwards is probably unnecessary but I need to make sense of Schedule 2, part 6 which is mashed to say the least. Is there anyone who can set out simply the HMF levels disentangled....I have a feeling there are four levels....Thanks

Talking of mod 2 what's everyone's idea of the latest addition - the last section?
    What are they getting at?

Eb

Quote Originally Posted by Easy beesy View Post
    Talking of mod 2 what's everyone's idea of the latest addition - the last section?
    What are they getting at?

Eb
    The Dave Cushman page is well out of date - the HMF derogation was changed with the replacement of the 1976 Regs in 2003 to ok for tropical honeys at that level only. The last section is explaining that pollen "footprints" differ throughout the world and some are quite specific to an area...allowing Trading Standards to know if honey is as labelled from pollen analysis (amongst other things). Expect there's a procedure to remember too but not got that far yet...