Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Urgently looking for source of pure Amm for remote disease free island

Quote Originally Posted by Trog View Post
    I've found that temper varies according to weather and hive politics at the time. Two years ago, the ones we call the 'could bees' had to be treated with great respect and there was no way we'd breed from them. I informed them of this and overnight they changed into really very nice bees. Reluctant to make swarm preparations, even when crowded (so it was late in the year before they did actually get split) and 70lb honey (which is exceptional for us here). This year, the 'could nuc' from last year currently has double brood box, 13 frames stuffed with brood and three supers and they're as sweet natured as anyone could wish. On past form, if they produce any qcs at all it'll be in August, which is a bit late but we may well give them a chance to make up a nuc as they're so productive.
    Sounds like the jackpot best watch she doesn't fly off with a swarm when your not looking

Blog Entries

Oh, we're looking all right, Droney! Every seven days, which is hard work when one is also trying to run a B & B. (Puts the guests off if you greet them while wearing a bee jacket. Can't think why )

Quote Originally Posted by Trog View Post
    Oh, we're looking all right, Droney! Every seven days, which is hard work when one is also trying to run a B & B. (Puts the guests off if you greet them while wearing a bee jacket. Can't think why )
    Stick an ad in Beecraft for beginners beekeeping holidays that should fix both problems at the same time

Mudbloods rule ok!

Blog Entries

I have been thinking about doing 'meet the bees' courses - would be a good addition to painting holidays - but wonder what the insurance situation might be. Currently covered as a hobby beekeeper by SBA membership but it almost certainly wouldn't cover me for opening up hives for paying guests. Then I'd have to buy lots of extra kit ...

Ask Charlie Irwin The SBA Insurance convener for advice

Blog Entries

Thornes do an 'occasional' jacket and veil for about £8.40. We bought ten for beginners and they are fine although folk usually prefer the stronger stuff from a previous purchase.