Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best way to requeen nasty colony

I hope I don't repeat anything here but I have not read the whole thread. When I introduce a queen I leave her in the cage in the hive for 3 days and then release her onto a horizontal comb on top of the frames and watch the reaction of the workers. If they seem to accept her I just lower the comb back into the hive. If they try to ball her I stick her back in the cage for another day. Introducing the queen to a nuc first helps even more. I never rely on the fondant method now as it's too hit and miss for my liking and has caused the loss of some good queens.

When I can't find the old queen or can't face searching a killer colony I just insert a protected queen cell. They can't tear down the cell and when the virgin eventually emerges they seem to treat her like a supersedure queen and the old one gets the chop. Presumably they allow the virgin to sort her out. It works almost every time but I have not deliberately counted the success rate.

The same technique usually works with a colony with laying workers too and I have no doubt that it is infinitely better than the book method of dumping your bees on the ground. I can't imagine how that idea ever caught on.

I tried the protected queen cell method on a couple of snotty colonies this season but both failed.
    In the past I have used a manley cage. The benefit of this is that they eat the first plug and can access and feed the queen through the small Qe, whilst I leave the large plug sealed over with tape for a few days to see how they are reacting to her. When things look calm I take off the tape and they eat their way through the large plug and realease her.

My experience of using protected cells in queenright colonies, or supercedure requeening as its known in the antipodes, has not been particularly successful either. Shame, as its dead quick.

Jon is correct - I've introduced a dozen or so queens this year simply using smoke into a colony that has been queenless for 4 days or more. (Removing the queencells first of course). 100% success.
    The queens have been my own so haven't traveled and thus been in a good laying condition which I am sure helps.
    Last edited by Adam; 07-11-2013 at 09:51 AM. Reason: typing

Senior Member Mellifera Crofter's Avatar
    Aberdeenshire, on top of a wind-swept and exposed hill.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Comb View Post
    ... In the past I have used a manley cage. ...
    What does a manley cage look like, BC?
    Kitta

Quote Originally Posted by Adam View Post
    Jon is correct - I've introduced a dozen or so queens this year simply using smoke into a colony that has been queenless for 4 days or more. (Removing the queencells first of course). 100% success.
    The queens have been my own so haven't traveled and thus been in a good laying condition which I am sure helps.
    That's brilliant Adam
    The queen condition is an important tip which I will bear in mind
    I have used the Snelgove method wetting the queen never just smoke
    I must have a go next year

If anyone is interested here's a link to Snelgrove's Queen Introduction book
    It's quite a big .pdf
    Lot of interesting stuff in there on direct introduction
    Time from mating till lay etc
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4k...it?usp=sharing
    Takes two or three min to download

Quote Originally Posted by Mellifera Crofter View Post
    What does a manley cage look like, BC?
    Kitta
    If you have Honey Farming by Manley a drawing is on page 202.
    Bickerstaffes sell them. If you scroll down the page there is a photo and some blurb.

http://bickerstaffs-queens.blogspot.co.uk

The other thing I've had with introductions is the queen hiding.
    It's happened a few times with black queens introduced to cordovan workers.
    Last time I introduced by cage and then about 10 days later went in and no sign of queen or eggs or brood.
    I had a top feeder on which was empty and as I took it off I saw the queen in the "feeding" part of the feeder. I picker he up, placed her on the top bars, gently smoked around her and crossed my fingers.
    She is now laying well.