Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: witnessed a mating swarm

Blog Entries

With no other honeybees in this group of islands let alone locally, I suppose the only place for the bees to congregate for mating is right here in my own apiary. Indeed I have seen what probably was such an event, last year and the year before, but on each occasion I was otherwise occupied and didn't have the time to observe the detail - a great pity. I currently have two queenless colonies each with multiple queen cells (either grafted in or on frames removed from a donor hive) due to emerge this week. The two hives are at opposite corners of the garden - about 60m apart - so by now I'm hoping that each is aware of the other's presence and state! If the good summer weather continues - warm(ish) and relatively still - then it could be soon. But the weather here in the islands is rarely so calm for long - we're much further west than Jon is in Belfast, and on the SW point of the islands exposed to the Atlantic - so they'd better get on with it, especially if (if successful) the new growing colonies are to make the most of the upcoming heather season.
    Last edited by Neonach; 07-08-2011 at 10:22 PM.

Senior Member Mellifera Crofter's Avatar
    Aberdeenshire, on top of a wind-swept and exposed hill.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    I saw two more mating swarms over my apiary today. One settled in the bracken at the edge of the railway line beside my allotment but I found the empty apidea and tipped the little cluster into it. ...
    Jon, when a mating swarm settles somewhere outside the hive, does it mean the queen has mated by then, or is she just taking a rest before continuing with her mating flight? Also, will such a swarm return to their original hive, or might they fly off and find a new home? Would it be a huge mistake if I unwittingly moved a mating swarm into a new hive? Is it possible to distinguish between a mating swarm and a cast swarm?
    Kitta

Blog Entries

Hi Kitta
    In my experience the queen has mated as I usually find eggs in the apidea a few days later.
    When the queen takes orientation, ie , non mating flights, she flies on her own. I have seen queens coming and going from apideas on maybe a dozen or more occasions. I remember I saw one queen fly twice on the same day.

What I am talking about is the contents of an apidea, ie just a couple of hundred bees so smaller than your average cast, although I have seen casts which are no more than a few hundred bees and a virgin queen. the cluster with the queen in it is about the size of an biggish apple and would not be viable outside of an apidea.

My theory is that a mating swarm under normal conditions has a fixed number of bees, maybe a couple of thousand and as this is greater than the contents of an apidea it leads to the apidea being completely emptied. Assuming this happens when a queen flies from a full colony it would not be noticeable with a colony population of maybe 40,000.

This is the size of the cluster.

If I find a cluster like this I look for the empty apidea and bring it over.

Sorry about the quality. I am getting a new camera this week after being shamed into it by Adam.
    Last edited by Jon; 25-07-2011 at 11:28 AM.

Senior Member Mellifera Crofter's Avatar
    Aberdeenshire, on top of a wind-swept and exposed hill.

Thanks Jon. I look forward to seeing pictures or video clips taken with your new camera.
    Kitta

Blog Entries

Jon'll be needing that new camera for the illustrations for the book he's writing ...

My theory is that a ....
    I can't read such words without reaching for YouTube.

Blog Entries

Oh dear ... I've spoiled the flow! One man might be able to comment on this. He'll be in Scotland for the SBA Centenary next year I believe.

http://www.sciencefriday.com/videos/series/5/

I wonder if there is a continuum of behaviour from cast to mating swarm to full absconding. Casts go because 'It's not right in here, there are queens piping in here so we ought to leave' *and* the attraction of flying off with a virgin is strong, mating swarms just have the latter, and absconding is just the decision that it's not right in here and we have to go.

Blog Entries

I suspect that it acts like a swarm from this point.
    Have you watched these mating swarms to see if there is dancing going on?

Blog Entries

Haven't looked for dancing but I have at least got a better camera so will start recording more and peruse the recordings at my leisure.

You can now identify individual bees. Don't mind the ones with yellow bands. I took a couple of frames of brood from another colony to bolster this one.

And yes, my theory is that a swarm is thin at both ends and fat in the middle, ehem.
    Last edited by Jon; 25-07-2011 at 10:24 PM.

Blog Entries

Your next project? Apidea-cam! One inside, one outside. Do they do buzz-runs and piping signals before the mating swarm exits? Some other unique communication?

Blog Entries

I just checked the apidea which I tipped the cluster of bees into on Sunday and it has eggs in it - so that confirms that it was definitely a mating swarm rather than some other type of swarm.
    Also interesting that she starts to lay within 48 hours as some folk think it takes longer than that.

eggs-48-hours-after-mating-swarm.jpg