Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Collecting propolis

Blog Entries

That probably means top bee space. In a BS National the frame tops are flush with the rims of the box and there is more space underneath the frames. Crownboards have wooden strips around the edge and these go on the lower surface of the board so that there is a bee space above the frame tops.

Place a top bee space feeder on a bottom space box of bees (as I did last year) and there is an unpleasant crunching sound!

Smiths are the second most popular hive type amongst locals (some, including our biggest bee farmer locally, have Langstroths). They all have a gap between the frame tops and the rim of the box, and take flush crownboards (with the edging on the top side).

Maybe a piece of charity shop net curtain, pinned onto some battens, would be as effective?

We've tried dropping half a teaspoonful of propolis into a bottle of cheap vodka, it's an acquired taste. What else can it can be used for?

Blog Entries

I think maybe the net curtain will be too flimsy to easily extract the propolis.

I always give the propolis to my son in law who uses it in magic potions for healing animals in accordance with organic husbandry methods.

Blog Entries

I've just been reading an article which tells how beekeepers in Mendoza, Argentina used propolis to fight AFB, and in doing so found it also an effective treatment against varroa.Apparently, they have since treated tens of thousands of hives with good results.
    200g of propolis in alcohol 96° (sic) though certain claim 70° to be better. Leave it to macerate,filter, and then incorporate it at 10% in sugar syrup. Give them 6ml. per frame.The dose of propolis must not be increased, as it inhibits the queen's laying.At the given dose, it stimulates her.
    Of course, some could say "who needs another anti varroa treatment?"

Blog Entries

A friend has followed Drone Ranger's advice (via an intermediary) and used kitchen sponges with a thymol-spirit concoction and those hives made propolis which had a funny colour and wasn't glossy or red. Gummy yucky stuff, pretty sure that it has a high content of that artificial sponge stuff. Mine make different colours and consistencies of propolis. And now we've speculation in the Today's News thread that they are gathering opium sap. Didn't I read somewhere that they sometimes gathered tar from the roads?

Do you propolis users select only stuff that looks like the best quality resin?

Blog Entries

Personally, I only collect a bit, and just grab what the bees give.The only difference I notice is that *the hotter the gooeyer* but I don't have the observation capacity of a trained scientist.
    Seriously though, if you are interested in propolis *types* and some of its uses, this site may be interesting

http://www.apitherapie.ch/files/file...BookReview.pdf

I've had tar from roads,mastic fron shed roofs, green tarry stuff from roofing felt and fresh putty from newly glazed windos.I don't think I would like to chew any of that or mix it with alchohol.Horrible mess to clean from hives and frames.Did a good job of mummifying a mouse tho'.

Blog Entries

Hi
    mixed with alchohol it makes a great coating for the insides of new magazines - shook swarms take to a familiar smell like home much better apparently.

Blog Entries

FAHMY, F G ; OMAR, M O M (1988) Effect of propolis extracts on certain potato viruses. Fourth International Congress on Agriculture in Tropical Climates, Cairo, Egypt: 6-10

Can't get much higher than

Blog Entries

LOL!

OK, propolis is useful stuff, but bees haven't read the various organic standards handbooks. I'd be cautious about how you manage hives for propolis production and how you select only the best stuff for harvest.

G.