Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Collecting propolis

Gorleston -on-sea, Norfolk, Southern Scotland

blue nitrile for me as well, only £6 a hundred from local auto workshop suppliers

Guys i have found this and i am sure you guys will also find this usefull . See this site Latex Gloves , i see they have many varieties to choose from , and you will notice the price is also reasonable..

Blog Entries

I use the blue trawlermans gloves.
    Sting proof, chemical resistant, and great feeling... One pair will do a whole season.
    To get the propolis of I turn them inside out and put them in the freezer.
    Works a treat.

Blog Entries

I decided to have a go at collecting propolis this season so I ordered 12 propolis screens from thornes on the basis I could take one off and immediately replace it.

Must admit I was expecting something more solid than what eventually turned up:

So do I leave the crown boards off when I've got one of these on I wonder? Will they propolise it at the top of a (hopefully) stack of supers?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nellie View Post

So do I leave the crown boards off when I've got one of these on I wonder?
    If you do, you could end up with the screen stuck to the roof.Depends on the space between the frames and the top of the box. I would put it on top of the frames, and then the crown board *upside down*.As for the stack of supers, the best time to put the propolis mesh is after the harvest.

Blog Entries

Hi Chris

Do you have top or bottom space beehives? I'm guessing top space so that your inverted crown board gives a larger than normal space. Maybe not. Nellies are Nationals I think, so he will have bottom space hives and a crownboard which normally sits with its space underneath.

When I've used a mesh travel screen for the move to the heather instead of a crownboard (affixed with drawing pins) and left it on (by mistake or because the bees were too riled) they tend to try to glue up the mesh.

G.
    Last edited by gavin; 17-04-2012 at 08:44 AM.

Blog Entries

Yep, I'm bottom bee space on all my stuff. Useful info, thanks, I'll have a play and see what happens. I hadn't seriously thought that I should leave the crown board off, but sometimes you have to ask

Senior Member Mellifera Crofter's Avatar
    Aberdeenshire, on top of a wind-swept and exposed hill.

Quote Originally Posted by Nellie View Post
    Must admit I was expecting something more solid than what eventually turned up:
    So what did turn up - a bit of ordinary fibreglass mesh? I've got a few scraps of fibreglass mesh. Can I use that?
    Kitta

Blog Entries

Pretty much, it just unfolds into a national sized square of mesh. I guess bee-lore should apply (Greater than beespace wax it up, smaller than beespace propolise it).

Blog Entries

Kitta, you can even use a piece of plastic mosquito netting. What is important, is that it is not rigid, otherwise when you take it out of the fridge/freezer, you won't be able to bend it to *snap* the propolis.

Gavin, I suspect that I have both top and bottom bee space on my Dadants, but then I have no idea what it means About a finger's width between the floor and frame bottoms, and the same between the top of the frames and the bottom of the crown board. But the crown board has 2cm battens around the sides on the other surface, so flipping it over gives extra non propolisable space.
    Last edited by chris; 17-04-2012 at 06:39 PM.