Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How far did your swarm go?

Default How far did your swarm go?

I realise that this is a piece of string question, but I was wondering if anyone has any idea of the distance that a swarm is able to travel?

Do they have a minimum distance they prefer to swarm, so not to then be in competition with the old hive from which they came?

The reason for my interest, is while watching my hives yesterday afternoon, the sound of a swarm was heard, but it was not from my hives, and could not be seen. 30 minutes later while walking back to the house, about 50 yards away, I discovered a large cluster of bees, hanging about 25 feet up, on a Oak branch. Too far for a capture, so decided to place a bait hive nearby, just in case!

This morning at about 0730, the cluster was still there and obviously concerned in retaining heat. This afternoon, at around 1500, no sign of them, apart from a few straggler bees around the branch they were on. Couldn't see any activity at the bait hive, so presume they had a better place in mind.

This made me wonder where, and how far they can travel in search of a new home?

Look forward to your replies.

Blog Entries

I've got a video of a waggle dance being performed in a swarm. The duration on that particular dance is approximately 1.5 seconds so would appear to indicate that they're scouting sites approximately 1300 meters (.8 of a mile) away in that instance.

In terms of where they first settle, they needn't go very far at all, I was helping a friend out last weekend with perhaps the biggest swarm I've ever seen! And they'd gone all of about 3 meters from the hive and were helpfully hanging on an easy to reach branch.

Very interesting. I has three swarms, all landing within a few yards of the hives, two were caught, but the third was too high, and then vanished, so I hope they do well in their chosen site.

Blog Entries

René, the famous swarm catcher down here, says that if the swarm is too high up, then you bang on a box with a hard stick, and the bees come down into it. I've seen him do it, but I don't know why it works. And if the swarm is flying, he throws a few handfuls of sand at it.................

Blog Entries

Now that I'd like to see Chris. For the life of me I can't think why banging a box would work but hey ho that's why I'm not a famous swarm catcher I guess

Blog Entries

Howling at the moon is therapeutic and I am sure that throwing handfuls of sand at an airborne swarm is good for the soul as well. The alternative would be to clip a wing and carry out weekly inspections.

Blog Entries

Traditionally it was banging a saucepan wasn't it? Maybe it is the noise then, and not the flashing of reflected sun. I'm tempted to give it a go myself, but then swarms are a rare event in my apiary, even with no queen clipping.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gavin View Post
    Traditionally it was banging a saucepan wasn't it?
    I thought that was just the chickens it worked on (that's how I get them back in the pen when needed- they think they're getting a gourmet meal ). I'd better be careful as I've seen a lot of honey bees visiting my garden this year.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    The alternative would be to clip a wing and carry out weekly inspections.
    Jon, your dad must think you're lost beyond all hope.

Blog Entries

Every time I speak to him he has a report of another swarm and he often doesn't bother to remove queen cells so lots of casts as well. I have never seen him banging a box with a stick or throwing handfuls of sand, not at bees anyway, but I have seen him attempt to bring down an airborne swarm with a garden hose, ie spraying it rather than trying to lasso it.
    15 colonies in his garden. Must be mayhem for the neighbours.

Clipping is pointless unless you inspect regularly as your swarm will go a week later with the first virgin out.