Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bee Aids

Blog Entries

There's another good thing coming out of all these domesday documentaries. The general public are getting the idea that bees are not a disposable commodity and that they must be helped and protected. If that leads to fewer swarms and ferals being destroyed, that may be a good thing. When my B & B guests, spooning the honey onto their toast say, 'Bees are in trouble, aren't they?' I can give them the facts but the great thing is that folk are thinking about bees and feeling positive towards them, rather than the old 'nasty stingy things' and long tarrydiddles about when they got stung by a wasp, etc.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Trog View Post
    tarrydiddles .
    It is well worth being a member of this forum just to have encountered such a word

Blog Entries

My mum and grandmother used it quite a lot!

Blog Entries

One thing that's become plain to me over the years is that you shouldn't mess with the public by being patronising or untruthful. It will come back to bite you in the end. People accuse pro-technology scientists of being economical with the truth but that pales into insignificance when compared to the misinformation spread on bees and threats to the environment. The end shouldn't justify the means. People can be encouraged towards being good environmentalists without them being lied to because once they realise the deceptions floating around they may never believe the responsible groups again.

Think John Gummer and his daughter's beefburger.

All environmentalists, or all beekeepers, should strive to make sure that the truth gets out there otherwise we will all be tarred with the same brush.

Blog Entries

If you read my reply, you'll see that I give folk the facts when they ask about bees. It's exactly the same thing with organic gardening and recycling. Yes, they've been hijacked by the New Agers and other oddballs but for those of us normal folk who've been doing a bit of both for donkeys' years it's good to see even misinformation getting the message across that it's a good thing to do. So, I'll leave it to the scientists to get all uptight and jumpy about the pesticides/CCD debate and I'll carry on taking what snippits folk have picked up from the media and use it as a starting point to educate them about the delights of bees and beekeeping!