Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Waggle Dance Workshop.

Blog Entries

Default Waggle Dance Workshop.

I know this is a long shot asking on a Scottish Website whether anyone else is pottering off to Brighton on Saturday for the decipher the waggle dance workshop, but you nerver know.

Blog Entries

One doesn't potter off to Brighton from these parts, you know! It has to be a well-planned assault, with weeks spent stocking up on provisions for the journey and days spent pouring over train timetables and Megabus websites.

I did make an escape to London yesterday. Rows and rows and rows of lime trees in full flower in Hyde Park yet not a bee to be seen. Was that the lack of nectar due to drought, the lack of both local bumble bees and honeybees, or the overabundance of the trees causing the available pollinators to spread out so much I couldn't see any? It must be a tough environment for bumbles as spare undisturbed ground is at a bit of a premium.

G.

Blog Entries

Karin might be best placed to answer this but I was under the impression that London was drowning in a sea of bees.

Mine on a nature reserve has clover and bramble by the bucket load yet nothing in the supers of any consequence so I'm blaming the lack of rain at the moment.

I knew it'd be a longshot, it's a 4 hour drive for me to get there, so I guess I'd better take full notes, HD video and sort something out when I get back then.

Blog Entries

I have never been to Brighton nor Edinburgh nor Dundee for that matter, although I did visit Bristol about 3 times in the early 1980s and lived to tell the tale.

Blog Entries

Don't think I've ever been to Brighton despite living in Berkshire for 6 years. Edinburgh is a must. Extend your stay to visit the SBA Centenary meeting next September in Stirling to take in Edinburgh. There will be some excellent speakers, one who seldom visits this side of the pond (don't think I'm at liberty to say who yet though).

Blog Entries

Might get over. My brother has just started a new job in Edinburgh. It know loads of people who lived or studied there and they all rate it highly. My problem is that I always head west rather than east when I travel.

Blog Entries

Edinburgh's lovely. Only other city I've been to for any length of time is Dundee. They have cake named after them.

Blog Entries

I'm a big fan of Edinburgh. I lived there for over 8 years before moving to the west and look for any excuse to go back- (The bee diseases workshop being one of them).

Blog Entries

Well I made it, had a good poke round the lab, very impressive. Kicks off in half an hour or so.

Blog Entries

Well that was a bit of a trek but what a brilliant afternoon. Not directly useful from a beekeeping point of view perhaps but educational generally, very well put together. I have a huge pile of notes, some handouts that I need to scan that aren't directly connected to the session itself but might be of interest/use to people anyway and a rather complex looking formula that lets you determine the distance to forage from the waggle dance slightly more accurately that assuming 1second = 1kilometer which is wrong in any case