Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Api Life Var vs Apiguard vs (insert favourite non Pyrethoid Varroa Treatment)

Blog Entries

All the colonies in one apiary now have the DIY thymol treatment on. I used 40ml on two sponges on the full colonies and 20ml on one sponge in the Nucs. Quite surprised at how much of the smell goes once it's dissolved in the surgical spirit but there was some bearding of bees at the entrances after an hour or so.

I used bog standard washing sponges cut to fit under the crown boards, do I expect any of the sponge to remain when I look next and have some replacements ready or will they leave them alone?

Quote Originally Posted by Nellie View Post
    All the colonies in one apiary now have the DIY thymol treatment on. I used 40ml on two sponges on the full colonies and 20ml on one sponge in the Nucs. Quite surprised at how much of the smell goes once it's dissolved in the surgical spirit but there was some bearding of bees at the entrances after an hour or so.

I used bog standard washing sponges cut to fit under the crown boards, do I expect any of the sponge to remain when I look next and have some replacements ready or will they leave them alone?
    The flat ones from Lidl are easier but you will still have sponges (hopefully) in a week or two's time when you put on a second dose of 20ml / sponge
    The varroa will be dropping and after a couple of days you can gauge the population by the numbers killed.
    If you are feeding make sure they are taking the feed as some bees won't come to a feeder during treatment
    Hope your weather is better than ours at the moment

Blog Entries

Marginally better, but I won't be getting the suntan lotion out. Was tempted to try a feed on the nucs but have previously found that either treat or feed is best approach rather than try both at the same time.

Blog Entries

was dodging the rain showers so didn't open up the hives, but there's a good number of mites on all the floors include the swarm I dosed with OA. I managed to get the stuff on my hands and you do end up reeking of thymol for the rest of the day. ho hum.

was dodging the rain showers so didn't open up the hives, but there's a good number of mites on all the floors include the swarm I dosed with OA. I managed to get the stuff on my hands and you do end up reeking of thymol for the rest of the day. ho hum.
    Ha!Ha! The good thing is if you are feeding at the same time the bees get trained to associate the smell with good things and become your new best friends.
    But a word of warning don't get it in your eyes because it hurts worse than being stung
    Everybody in our house says they smell it strong when I hardly notice it
    Like Henry Cooper with his "splash it all over" the great ??? smell of Brut

Hi D.R is this method temperature dependent ?

Hi DR

I like your idea of Thymol and the bees associating it with good things. I am the opposite. Having worked closely with the NHS where Thymol is used as a preservative in 24hr Urine collection bottles you can guess what I associate the smell with.

Hi Robin
    It will work at lower temps than Apiguard Gel but best above 15'C just the same.
    That's not a problem at this time of year usually

Jimbo
    Thymol might not be your favorite treatment choice then
    Versatile stuff that thymol could be worse they might have used Brut

Blog Entries

Lies I tell you. I used the standard washing sponges with the green scourer top and they were all cleared out when I opened them up yesterday to apply the second round. Getting a good mite drop off them though so I'm happy with the overall efficacy of it so far but it would be safe to say that they appear to like it even less than Apiguard.

Lies I tell you. I used the standard washing sponges with the green scourer top and they were all cleared out when I opened them up yesterday to apply the second round. Getting a good mite drop off them though so I'm happy with the overall efficacy of it so far but it would be safe to say that they appear to like it even less than Apiguard.
    Lol !!

Nellie don't be mean pop to the supermarket and get AquaPure Spongemasters or similar from Lidl Aldi or Tesco they are about 8" square and 5mm thick you cut them into 4
    They are sponge cloths not pot scourers
    Still whatever works but you could save some cash if the bees don't eat them every time

The lowest temp they will work is 12'C