Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Welcome!

Blog Entries

Welcome BDaddy! (and everyone else joining up recently)

Can you see Scotland on a clear day (perhaps if you climb a nearby hill)? Then you're in!

G.

Thanks Gavin. Yes I can and try to get up there as often as time allows. Beautiful place!
    Congratulations for a brilliant forum by the way.

Blog Entries

About 6 weeks have gone by since I last said hello to everyone who had joined up lately, so: Welcome!! to you all ... but a particular welcome to tonight's new member as I just love creative user names ... so hello GlasweJen!!

G.

Afternoon all.

Good to see a scottish forum. Hopefully means advice given will be more pertinent to local areas.

Me? I'm in the borders atm on the east coast, but will be moving to the Cabrach in 2 weeks. YAY!!!
    I currently have 2 small colonies, results from an A\S i had to perform on a Nuc i got in June. Hoping they build up enough to survive the Cabrach winter which is apparently "interesting".

Blog Entries

Welcome to you too Hoomin Erra! Nice name - did your mum and dad christen you like that? Shame what some folk do to their kids ....

There are people from Moray and Aberdeenshire reading this, so maybe you'll hear more about the interesting winter up there. Stock up on fondant and polystyrene sheets, that's my tip.

G.

Hi everyone,

I joined the forum last week but never quite got round to posting anything...ha so lazy I know! Anyway, I've only recently started to keep bees, been almost 5 months now but I'm learning quickly so that's good. I hope you are all nice to me

Fori

Blog Entries

Welcome, Fori!

I'm sure that everyone will be nice to you, and if not just let me know and I'll sort them out!

G.

Hi Gavin
    Just joined the forum, Hope you don't mind I'm from down south, (over the border) think we have conversed on one of the other forums, looking for some fresh blood and some nice in depth topics to talk about instead of " I've got my bees what next" if you know what I mean we all needed help at some time but books do help. Best of luck with the new forum
    Kev
    Wiltshire
    PS Feel free to kick me out for being the wrong side of the border if you wish

Blog Entries

Hi Kev

Welcome! (And the same to all the other recent new members)

You and Nellie can form our SW England branch.

And there was me grumbling loudly earlier this year when the BBKA wanted to come N of the border with their displays for their new sponsor .....

The forum has developed a strong Scottish flavour, just as I'd hoped, and so a few interlopers from elsewhere will be most welcome.

What kinds of bee do you breed? (I should just point out that broad-mindedness is something I think the SBA should be embracing to a greater extent .... )

Gavin

Hi Gavin
    I bought 5 Carniolan Queens from A commercial Beekeeper near London (name witheld) Lovely bees and great to handle, I have subsequently found they are Kona queens and I bought them 4-5 years ago and so they are not pure anymore as I am running 30 plus hives now and with the help of a mutual friend in North Somerset am expanding fast ( he will laugh as we have met and he knows my size!!). I have ordered some of Roger Whites queens for next year as they come very highly recommended. I am planning to rear queeens from their daughters if all goes well. I am not into buying queens but do like to keep the gene pool diverse and am getting into II but thats another story. Had you thought of starting a Queen Rearing sub heading, I do not know the volume of q/rearing done in Scotland, I am certaily surprised by the amount of commercial guys in my area that raise no queens just buy in almost yearly.
    kev