Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Welcome!

Blog Entries

Donald, Lindsay, Bizzy, Ron, Judith, Wullie, and everyone else who has signed up recently, welcome!

G.

Oh ... and Nellie and Jon!

BTW If you edit a post of your own quickly (within a few minutes, as in just spotted a spelling mistake) it is accepted without comment. A bit later and it says 'Edited by ... '. I seem to have super-human powers (you're not surprised, are you?!) and can edit at will, so I'll try to expose my edits by colouring them like this. If I remember.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Trog View Post
    Do you reckon your members could spare any nucs to help us? Would be good for the gene pool and there are so few places to source varroa-free bees. In a couple of years we could then return the favour as it were, by letting Orkney have some good Mull bees.
    Hi Trog

I wrote 80 colonies, which was our count in autumn, we'll have to see yet what's left after quite a tough winter.
    We are actually desperate to increase colony numbers up here, too, as 80 is a very small number for Orkney. On the outer isles some of the beekeepers just have a single colony, this problem needs to be addressed as otherwise these bees will succumb to inbreeding problems.

I think the way forward for Mull and Orkney is to try to increase colony numbers as much as possible locally, and to think about exchange later. We have done morphometry testing on a handful of colonies and the results were pointing towards Amm, but with some variation.

To get more varroa free bees you could ask Andrew Abrahams on Colonsay.

I also had the chance to visit the Isle of Man last October, which has several hundred colonies, mostly dark. They are currently testing every apiary on the island for varroa. If they can prove that they are varroa free they have a chance to get a bee import ban approved by the EU.

It'll be good to stay in touch through this forum,
    Doris

Blog Entries

Point taken, but 80 seems a lot to us! Very difficult to increase from 11, assuming all survive this winter, but we're trying! Just 5 nucs would make a huge difference to us. We're not looking for freebies, by the way! Quite a lot of Colonsay bees here already. I'd heard Man was varroa-free and it's interesting that they're testing every apiary. Hope they're also testing for the other nasties ... sometimes folk can be so focussed on varroa they forget bees can die of other things, too!

The web-site looks great! Am sure it's going to take off.

Hi Gavin,really nice to have our own forum.I'll encourage our membership to join. JOHN ADAMS. Chairman Western Galloway Beekeepers.

Blog Entries

Hi John

Great to see you here and to know that our reach extends to the far SW. I had asked the SBA Area Reps to circulate the associations in their areas, but I think that Fiona may not have email. I can put you in touch with Peter Stromberg (the W Area Rep) if you like (or you can just send him a PM here), if you don't already know him. Through the year there are quite a few emails circulated via the Area Reps, so perhaps you could offer to be the email contact for the Western Galloway BKA?

Welcome aboard, and I hope that you and your colleagues enjoy your time on the forum.

best wishes

Gavin

Hi Gavin,be pleased to take on the job.No I don't know Peter so you can put us in touch if you like.
    Best regards JOHN

Blog Entries

Welcome! To ... Anne, drumjerry, EmsE, Eric, Hamiish (two i's), Grizzly, Honeybunch, Jemima, Jimbo, jockanease, Kennycreed, Manzie, Mike and Mike Thornley, orcadia, queenB, snimmo243, Tony Riome ... and anyone I've missed who registered in the last few weeks (and indeed the many who registered before that). Nice to have you all along.

That's all!

Hi BDADDY,welcome to the forum !!!!!

Hi Grizzly. Thank you. Took your advice!! Just finding my way about at the moment, very impressive. Hope you're well. Watching your formic acid thread..interesting.