Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Welcome!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gavin View Post
    Popz was wondering if I had an interest in testing your database for hive records. Feel free to start a new thread on it if you like as there may be others keen to try it.
    Gavin - as usual I have put my foot in my mouth, or something like that. I spoke to Nellie about this today and he would prefer not to pass it on yet as he still has more work in tidying it up first. This I absolutely understand, so apologies to both for jumping the gun.

Blog Entries

I went to Dundee once if that helps

I've got time to gas about bees on another forum so I thought I'd take a wander over and see how it's done north of the border. I promise not to clutter up the place.

I'd really appreciate your feedback on the app, I'm on a phone ATM but will stick up a thread here for anyone who might be interested in giving some input when I'm back at the main computer.

Popz, no problem at all, more than happy for anyone interested to take a look and provide feedback, I just want to know who has it so I can make sure they have the latest version and that people are aware that it isn't at a point where people should be putting real information into it yet.
    Last edited by Neils; 28-02-2010 at 03:25 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gavin View Post
    Can't you find a great-granny from Edinburgh or something?! We also have a man from Belfast hovering in the background. I think that his sister married a man with a Scottish-sounding name, something like that.
    Hmm. The Jackie Charlton approach to eligibility.

I don't have any sisters, it was my aunt!
    That's me off the hook then, as Belfast is nearer than Bristol.

Remember how Sarah Palin claimed foreign policy experience due to the proximity of the Rooskies to Alaska....
    Well I can see Scotland on a clear day from the Antrim coast which is is not possible from the Clifton Suspension Bridge.

I have never been to Dundee though.

Blog Entries

Hi

nice day here, lots of pollen and water being collected :

Also a super film if your internet is not too slow...
    Part 1
    Part 2
    Part 3

Sorry its in German, but great just to watch without sound. Some of the things they do (with school groups 2min50sec)) would give health and saftey a jump!
    Last edited by Calum; 28-02-2010 at 07:19 PM.

Blog Entries

Excellent videos, many thanks Calum (well the first one was - I'll see the other two later). I can see that we have a lot of catching-up to do in Scotland!

G.

PS And a wonderful photo of the action at your hives!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Trog View Post
    Hello Doris - are you really from Stromness? Lovely place! What's it like for bees up there? Hope still clear of varroa?
    Hi Trog

I live (and keep bees) in Stromness, but originally I am from Austria (Tyrol), where beekeeping is a bit easier than in Orkney (very few trees, lots of wind, long winters, cool summers).
    We haven't got varoa here yet, and we will try to keep it out as long as possible.

There are about 20 beekeepers up here, with about 80 colonies between them, spread out over the islands. And there are lots of people wanting to start beekeeping. The challenge now is to produce lots of nucs in Orkney and to provide training at the same time. It's all starting from a very small base, we just formed the new Orkney Beekeepers' Association.

One thing I want everybody to remember: please don't bring/send any bees to Orkney! The risk of importing varroa is too great.

All the best, Doris

Blog Entries

Wow! 80 colonies. So pleased to hear you're free of varroa, too. What sorts of bees do you have? Presumably not all AMM? On Mull we have lots of folk wanting to start but only about 11 colonies between us. Also doing all we can to keep varroa out. Do you reckon your members could spare any nucs to help us? Would be good for the gene pool and there are so few places to source varroa-free bees. In a couple of years we could then return the favour as it were, by letting Orkney have some good Mull bees.

Delighted to hear about the new association. Mull BKA has existed for years but been dormant for the last 20. We have just ... regenerated ... and are now forging ahead.

If you want to discuss things off-board, Gavin (Admin) has my email address.

Very best wishes, Trog

Blog Entries

If you exchange Private Messages (known in the trade as PMs) copies will be sent also to the recipient's email address (without divulging the originator's email address, which you will have to add to the PM!).

Strikes me that there was a poster earlier today with a similar but not identical situation who might benefit from joining your discussion (but I'd best not expose that person's identity either!).

G.

PS Regenerated ?? Was that a cue for me to put the link to Dr Who back on the forum?!

Blog Entries

Hi, Donald posting here for the first time - to see if it all works and come up with something to say next time .....