Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Welcome!

Blog Entries

Thanks Kev. Cron jobs are next on my list. At the moment I'm doing manual mysqldumps, and feel quite pleased with myself that I got them working across two servers without having to call on the teenager in his bedroom upstairs!

I'll be closing the forum for those updates in 5 min.

G.

Well done - the update seems to have gone perfectly
    One small tip you may want to consider - you show the forum software version at the bottom - i.e. "Powered by vBulletin™ Version 4.0.2" - you may want to consider changing it to just "Powered by vBulletin™" as hackers often look for specific versions of forums with known vulnerabilities to attack. With the version number at the bottom, it becomes easy to find with Google.

Functionally and cosmetically, it looks really good though

Kev.

Blog Entries

Hi Kev

Well, it worked in the end although it took me a while to realise how to make it run. I wonder if it might be better to show that the forum actually is running on the latest updates as they ought to have vulnerabilities minimised? I don't know how to make that change anyway - replacing the vBulletin logo on top with the SBA one was a major breakthrough for me.

And where did you find those smilies?! It seems rather erratic in what it offers you each time.

I should also stop displaying my own inexperience! Hackers: I very much know what I'm doing!! (I wish ... )

G.

Blog Entries

Hi Kev

Are you beginning your beekeeping just from books? I did it that way in the main, but had a friend to call on too. My books were this one for the basic introduction:

And then for all the detailed stuff:

f_9781904846246..jpg

I've heard people talk highly of Dummies, but my time as a beginner was before they were invented.

G.

Ooops! That's what happens when you pinch images off the internet. Second one is Ted Hooper's Guide to Bees and Honey.

Gavin,

If you click the reply directly below the post or "reply to thread" at the bottom of the post then the forum gives you just the the simple quick reply box - one without most of the features.
    From there you can click "go advanced" and you get all the features including the smilies. You soon learn the shorthand for them all anyway

Forum vulnerabilities seem to be as common or more common in new releases of the software. Personally I don't like to hand hackers any more information than I need to.

Thanks for the recommendation on the books - I'll order them from Amazon later tonight

I've been watching a few videos from YouTube which have been great - its amazing how much more you can pick up from seeing something done rather than just reading about it.
    Lets try the forums ability to play external video:

It works

Cheers,
    Kev.

Blog Entries

Thanks Kev Smilies re-found!

Thanks for the video - she really should have a lid on that extractor for safety! We did have a YouTube video here in an earlier trial (Dr Who and the Alien bees!) but in a fit of tidying the earlier blether I cleared it away. That seems to be one advantage over earlier vBulletin versions, the ability to post videos.

Thanks for the comments on vulnerabilities - it is great to have a forum expert on board. I'll look into ways of changing it.

Gavin

Blog Entries

Kev - just had to butt in here. I may be a bit old fashioned but amazed at watching a video on the forum. I have not done that before, and it is a very interesting one. Thanks for that.
    POPZ

Blog Entries

Forgot to mention that I absolutely agree with Gavin regarding choice of books. I have read many, but those two are streets ahead for simplicity and clarity.
    POPZ

Thanks both - just bough them both.
    For anyone looking for them:
    Bees at the Bottom of the Garden
    Guide to Bees and Honey

Kev.

Blog Entries

I got the honey handbook by Kim Flottam for christmas. I cannot recommend it - unless you are beekeeping in the USA!