Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Thread: Welcome!

Blog Entries

Spot on Gavin - this is a first sighting received for this area - and the conservation society for the butterflies and moths were extremely pleased to get it as it is a priority species - now have to look after my little Devils Bit Scabious and watch out for caterpillars [ leaving it alone sounds good to me ! ] - thanks for the suggested link.

Blog Entries

Sitting here with one of these on my face: ! We had a speaker from Butterfly Conservation Scotland at our local association a couple of winters ago. Nice to help them out a little too.

The one that's turned up on the Isle of Wight has caused quite a fuss: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-27859592

Yesterday after work, finally having mostly caught up with beekeeping things, I headed out for a walk at Lundie Crags to the NW of Dundee. I was hoping to see small blue butterflies but may have left it too late (either too late in the day or too late in June!) but I did see a comma, a fritillary, and a hummingbird hawkmoth. I'll add the record for the hawkmoth to the online survey at Butterfly Conservation. It has made an appearance all up the east of Scotland this year already.

http://butterfly-conservation.org/sightings/map/10/1087

G.

Blog Entries

It's a good sign that priority species are making a comeback - I'll certainly be on the lookout for others, especially when I visit my hive, as I cross a wild-flower meadow to get there. I may keep quiet otherwise about this one though, as I remember a couple of years ago, we had a Black Headed Bunting turn up at the bird feeders - all hell broke loose ! The twitchers turned up in their masses, binoculars trained onto the house for a glimpse, strangers knocking at the door or simply having a wander in the garden ! Felt under siege, so was quite glad when it flew off to pastures new !

Blog Entries

One spotted in Glen Feshie was photographed and sent to me for id because it looked like a bee. Two days later, up came the BBC news report about the Isle of Wight one. So pleased to hear they're across the water from me, too, and will keep a lookout!

Blog Entries

I've not seen it since that photo Trog, but then I've not been standing all day next to the Nepeta ! Must admit I hope to see more and good to know there's more not so far away from me.

Blog Entries

I read somewhere that they are great timekeepers - no need to stand outside all day, try a peek at the same time of day you took the photo!

Sent from my BlackBerry 8520 using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Thanks for the tip Gavin - I'll try to keep a lookout around roughly the same time of day once the rain stops !

Blog Entries

It has been a while since I welcomed folk here, so it is time for a catch up. So, many thanks everyone who has bothered to fight their way through the registration system over the last year or so. It is great having you here! Top marks to Calluna4 for agreeing to squander some of his valuable time engaging with folk many with a different take on beekeeping. It is always great to learn from someone with so much experience. Today's new forum folk include Alec (good to see you taking the plunge) and Bracecomb! I'm a sucker for inventive forum names, so thanks B, good to see you here. So many bee forum names across the internet, but Bracecomb is a new one on me. I'm expecting you to get stuck in between the gaps.

What a cracking day out there. Looks like it is warm enough to look into some brood boxes undisturbed since last autumn.