Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast

Thread: Welcome!

Thanks Gavin, Rothiemay is the other side of Huntly but not that far away, is Les on this forum or can you pass my contact details to him? I spotted Hoomin Erra and Rhynie Beekeeper and sent them PMs.
    I started a thread about my zest hive in the alternative section, interesting reading some of the TBH stuff as there are similarities but the zest isn't traditional or TBH, although the bees seem ok with it.

Hello to everyone, I have enjoyed reading and learning about bees over the past few months on this forum. I have not posted until now. I am not a BK but am interested and like to learn more. I have posted some photos of bees which i spotted in my back garden this morning. I think they are honey bees but i am sure folks on here will let me know.

Pretty certain these are hover flies … single pair of wings so a dipteran of some sort. Check back later and Gavin or someone who actually knows what he's talking about will have produced a definitive answer.

Very nice photos.

Blog Entries

William.
    I am a Tyrone man myself, born in Dungannon.

Me too Jon, and still living in Dungannon. I am interested in bee keeping and find this forum to be very friendly and has lots of information to trawl through to learn more. have been viewing it on and off for most of a year now.

Blog Entries

You could join Mid Ulster Beekeepers Association. They meet at Loughry college on a Friday evening once per month.
    My father who is a member there keeps about ten colonies of bees. He lives on the main Coalisland Road about 4 miles out of Dungannon.

Where have you posted the photos?

I should join the MUBA but have just not take that next step, have not had much spare time over the past few years with other commitments. I have bought honey of a gentleman on the Coalisland rd. could have been your dad. I Know there are two Beekeepers in that area.

as for the photos I created an album on this forum and up loaded them there, however did not think they would immediately become viewable by all. I am not aware of any BK within 3-4 miles of me and am keen to spot any bees in my immediate area.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by fatshark View Post
    … single pair of wings so a dipteran of some sort.
    Yup, nice pictures. They look like drone flies to me, members of the hover fly group, the Syrphids.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Williamtyrone View Post
    I Know there are two Beekeepers in that area.
    The other one is Ernie Waterson.
    He lives at the top of Flour Mill Hill and my parents live closer to the (ex) Metal Bridge.
    You will definitely have beekeepers within a 3-4 miles of you. There are quite a few in the area.
    You could contact a beekeeper called John Ross who would be helpful and point you in the right direction.
    He was on the queen rearing course we ran on behalf of NIHBS last summer and is a member of Mid Ulster Association.

Senior Member Mellifera Crofter's Avatar
    Aberdeenshire, on top of a wind-swept and exposed hill.

Quote Originally Posted by gavin View Post
    Yup, nice pictures. They look like drone flies to me, members of the hover fly group, the Syrphids.
    That link says,

This stocky hoverfly is the commonest 'drone' fly, so called because they mimic bee drones
    Do you know, or can you guess, why this hover fly tries to mimic honey bee drones, Gavin?
    Kitta