Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Welcome!

Blog Entries

Hi 3LM

The Dumfries group will keep you well educated and entertained. Give Archie my regards and tell him to get on the forum!

My honey harvest in recent years has been meagre, but this year I had one colony fill a super while the lime was flowering. Looks and tastes like lime too. The lime is erratic, needing dampness at the roots and muggy conditions. Each super frame gives 4 blocks suitable for those cut comb plastic boxes plus a little extra around the edges which can be pressed to recover the extra honey. With 11 frames in a super that's 44 blocks if the super is well-enough capped. You can extrapolate from maybe £6 a box (not that I usually sell) to a tidy sum. Pretty similar to the £300 earned by a colleague in our local association for a full super of his thin-foundation honey which he sells as-is to a restaurant owner.

I hope that you know that we go to great lengths to keep mice *out* of our hives?!

Hello everyone just joined, after loosing interest in the BBKA forum so got a suggestion to come over here.

So hello to one and all.

Adam

Blog Entries

Cheers.
    You will find a lot of the usual suspects here.
    You must be Adam Adam as opposed to Adam D as he is already here posting as ...wait for it...Adam.

Yeah, I tried to get Adam but it was already taken - so we've swapped.

Blog Entries

Welcome

Blog Entries

Welcome to *so* many people since I last said welcome, but especially to Fidan from Russia who I sadly banned at first, thinking that he was a spammer. Sorry Fidan!

Gavin

Blog Entries

... and Eddie .... and Ewan .... and anyone from the SBA Centenary who has signed up recently.
    Last edited by gavin; 19-09-2012 at 09:20 PM.

Blog Entries

Its been a whole year ...... welcome everyone!

Hello everyone,
    Steve here, south of Huntly.
    I have had a colony in a "Zest" hive for the last three years with reasonable success. They have survived the last three winters (re-queened last year) and have supplied me with some honey. I have been in touch with both local associations (Aberdeen and Moray) but have not joined either yet, mainly because being right on the edge of both it is a bit of a trek to go to meetings (although I have been to some).
    I am looking to start a second colony in the hive so I am after a mated queen to introduce some different DNA to the apiary. The question is am I better buying one from a breeder or someone local? and is here someone local with a queen available?

Blog Entries

Hi Steve

Welcome to the forum. Are you near Rothiemay? Les Webster used to be active in the SBA but has withdrawn from all that time-consuming stuff to spend more time with his bees. He may be worth looking up if you want to talk bees or obtain some different stock. There's also someone on the forum (Hoomin Erra?) in the Cabrach.

G