Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Welcome!

Blog Entries

Default Welcome!

We've been playing with this software for a week or two, and now the time has come to set it free and see where it goes. Do chip in with your questions or observations, and pass the word on to all your online Scottish beekeeping colleagues. The SBA goes Interactive, and is very much looking forward to see how beekeepers use this new ability to talk to each other, talk to your national and local beekeeping associations, and discuss beekeeping issues with anyone dropping by.

The only rule is to be civil. Do try to keep on topic though.

Blog Entries

Gavin, congratulations to you and all that helped on getting this forum off the ground. It appears on first sight to be considerably more advanced than other forums - Whatever, it will be interesting to see where it goes and partake in it's travels!

Blog Entries

Thanks POPZ - the extra features are down to vBulletin rather than anything we've done, and some other beekeeping fora use blogs and the newsy home page too. We need to work out how to use them to our best advantage though. Nice to see you posting.

G.

Blog Entries

Hello, Popz. How easy did you find the registration process?

Blog Entries

Hi gavin.
    Feel free to delete off the jon1 jon2 and jon3 usernames.
    I think you will get a lot of spamming if you don't use an e-mail verification.

Blog Entries

Thanks Jon - will do. The Spam bots were smart enough to register through the email verification and we had one filling the forum with gobbledegook, quickly spotted by Trog. Since I've moved it back to 'Human Verification' via questions it seems to be keeping clear. I suspect that no system is perfect, but it seems the email verification is easily breached automatically and so isn't good to protect the forum.

Blog Entries

Hey Trog. Good to hear from you. I found it very easy to register and that means it must be easy if I can float through it. Sorry about delay in replying to your post but have been away up north where there was no WiFi - wonderful!

I've just joined up - first post
    Best of luck with this forum, I hope it takes off. Its a brave move for the admins as I well understand the pressures of running a forum - I run a fairly large one for the shooting community.

Anyway, hope to learn a lot from you guys, I have a small farm and have been meaning to start beekeeping for a couple of years.
    I'm half way through the "Beekeeping For Dummies" book which has really fired my interest even although it was primarily written for the US.

ATB,
    Kev.

Blog Entries

Excellent to see you here Kev, welcome! I really hope that you will get all the help you need. I know what you mean about running fora - there has been a huge amount to learn so far. We're just about at the point where we can invite lots of people in, so well done for finding us ahead of what I hope will be a crowd. There was one other name today I didn't recognise, but apart from that the members are all a select group invited in to try it out.

One more thing to try to do first, upgrade to the latest release of vBulletin. If that goes well I'll be happy. Is your forum vB4, and if so have you mastered automatic (cron?) backups?

best wishes

Gavin

Gavin,

Glad to help with the beta testing
    I've tried vBulletin and several others over the years, but have now settled on phpBB as it allows more customisation than most.
    I still use chron jobs to backup the databases "offsite".

The best thing about vBulletin is the strong support you will receive - you pay for it after all, so don't be afraid to ask them.

ATB,
    Kev.