Thread: Shears or strimmer

Default Shears or strimmer

I need to cut very long grass in the immediate vicinity of my four hives. Should I use shears, which are time-consuming, or a quick-but-very-noisy strimmer. Which will cause less disturbance to the bees?

Blog Entries

I more or less gave up gardening when I got serious about beekeeping! Much easier ...

If the area is small I might slip on a veil and do it when the bees are at home on a rainy day or a cool evening.

I would put the beesuit on when strimming near bees as the motor vibration gets them a bit excited

Blog Entries

I read that as 'swimsuit' as they're talking about that on the telly at the moment ....

Blog Entries

Adam also mentioned his swim wear in a recent post.

Ride-on mower every time.Quick drive past and the jobs done.Shears between the hive stand legs working from the back.No need for beesuits with my bees - always well behaved when I cut the grass.

Strimmer, naked, smeared with honey.

Now there's a challenge, Hoomin_erra! Think of the huge number of hits on Youtube! Seriously, though, I think I'll get suited up and use the shears. Seems to the way to keep the bees happiest. Thanks, everyone

Blog Entries

Think it's a question that depends on the bees as well. I've got colonies that I'd happily wander around with a pair of shears doing some tidying up but would probably suit up for if I was going to take a strimmer too close to them. Outside the immediate apiary area though I think I'd probably risk it (though have the suit on hand).

My other colony I'd hesitate to do anything around them for any length of time without a suit on at the moment.

Blog Entries

How about a scythe? Whatever method, wait until the bees are in for the evening so you don't slice any!