Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Bee House

Senior Member Mellifera Crofter's Avatar
    Aberdeenshire, on top of a wind-swept and exposed hill.

Perhaps it is a beehouse for mini nucs.
    Kitta

Blog Entries

Belfast sent men to the moon in this during the 1960s
    It was 300 feet tall when the boosters were on it.
    That's just the capsule.

Default Bee House

A thatched spaceship ... that'll be no problem during re-entry!
    Good thinking.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2

Blog Entries

That is in fact a heat shield made from a top secret patented alloy which may look a bit like thatch to the unsophisticated.
    Incredibly, there is stuff all over the internet claiming the mission was faked.

Shot in a Holywood studio, that's Holywood Co. Down just outside Belfast where Belfast BKA meets on the second Monday of the month.
    Last edited by Jon; 31-07-2013 at 07:31 PM.

On the edge of a mature pine forest, Kingussie, Inverness-shire

Default Bee House

Moved the second and third hives into the bee house tonight. We had a bee moving party - move bees, paella afterwards plus some plonk of course. All seemed to go well - will see in the morning. Now have three hives and one nuc in there. All going well but need to get some lighting sorted as the nights get longer. Solar or wind powered?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

On the edge of a mature pine forest, Kingussie, Inverness-shire

Well as promised here is the Drumguish Bee House. Its been occupied for about three weeks now and of course there are some modifications to be made especially with the positioning of the hives - to get them flush up to the entrances we put some blocks on each side but of course this means its difficult to replace brood boxes or supers without crushing bees. However it is really important to get the hives flush to the entrance or you find a puddle of bees on the floor inside. One query Kitta had was regarding working a big colony within the house. Well we have been surprised how quickly the bees disperse out of the windows - 10 mins and the whole place is pretty clear.
    photo-6.jpgphoto-10.jpgphoto-9.jpgphoto-8.jpgbeeh7.jpg

1. Windows opening up and out -as per Kitta's suggestion as bees always climb up - thanks Kitta a great suggestion.
    2. Interior with hives along one side and work bench and storage on the other
    3. Front - three hives, one apidea and one nuc
    4. The colour coding was to help the bees find the right entrance after they had been moved
    5. Interior - Kitta you can see the blocks holding the hives in place in this pic.
    Still to be added - some lighting for winter possibly solar and a sedum roof next spring.
    Last edited by Bridget; 30-08-2013 at 10:52 AM. Reason: pictures not loading properly

Wonderful! Got to go, but I'll have another look tomorrow.
    Kitta

Quote Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
    ... there are some modifications to be made especially with the positioning of the hives - to get them flush up to the entrances we put some blocks on each side but of course this means its difficult to replace brood boxes or supers without crushing bees. However it is really important to get the hives flush to the entrance or you find a puddle of bees on the floor inside. ...
    That is a really lovely and well-made bee house, Bridget. Some of your photos did not display - can you reload them as I would love to see more.

I don't quite understand the problem with the blocks, but might this diagram from Ted Hooper's original flower book, 'The Beekeeper's Garden', 1988, be of help? I could not attach it to this post, so follow this link.

Kitta

I have a serious case of shed envy.

Is there a cure?

Quote Originally Posted by Mellifera Crofter View Post
    ... I don't quite understand the problem with the blocks ...
    It's good to see more photos of the shed, Bridget. I can now see the problem with the blocks. I think the Ted Hooper plan might help: move the boxes away from the wall and create connecting tunnels from the hive entrances to the hut entrances. That will give you more space to move roofs and supers, and the bees, when they leave the hive, can only go one way and that's out. They won't get lost.

Kitta