Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bee House

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Bee House

Has anyone any experience of using a bee house?

I have just started keeping bees (the hives were my fathers). My job means that I can only open up the hives on a Saturday and Sunday - weather permitting. Due to the bad weather and other important familly stuff during May, I was unable to do any active swarm control. As a result I had a swarm on the 1st of June. Luckily I was able to get to it and I have managed to get it into a a hive and it has settled nicely.

I am considering a bee house for next season so that no mater how wet or windy it is, i can open up the hives for a proper inspection etc.

Hints and tips will be gratefully accepted

Blog Entries

Funnily enough I was thinking about bee houses today so will follow this thread with interest. No idea myself but someone's bound to come along with useful advice.

Blog Entries

Hi,
    I have bees in 3 different bee houses my mentor has his 30 cononies in one, they are very popular here in Germany. Here are some pictures I uploaded of some.
    On the plus side:
    they are secure
    you are out of the weather (although the bees can be tempremental in bad weather, or not)
    you can pack alot of gear into them
    your well away from the young bees when they are on their orientation flights and returning bees
    On the down side
    they are dark so seeing things like eggs in a queen cup is a pain
    the bees that fly in also need a way out
    when you drop a frame it is just you and them in a small space.
    they are a pretty investment and need to be big enough for your future needs.
    I do not know if you need planning permission - here beekeepers have special concessions so they can be build almost anywhere.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Calum View Post
    .... when you drop a frame it is just you and them in a small space.
    LOL!! That paints a picture ...

Blog Entries

yup. just like you imagine. But there are some colonies that have not seemed to notice they'd been dropped. Others - well just opening the hive during changeable weather can be enough.
    I only wear a straw hat when I work so (in a shed with poor light and a hood you really need a led torch with at least 8 leds) is up close and personal.

Blog Entries

Surely when the hives are opened bees end up inside the beehouse. How do they get back into their hives if the entrances are outside the house? (Doesn't apply with the open ones - though I can't see the advantage of the last couple of types in your photos; not much extra shelter - but the big one with the lovely scythe looked like a proper shed.)

Quote Originally Posted by Calum View Post
    yup. just like you imagine. But there are some colonies that have not seemed to notice they'd been dropped. Others - well just opening the hive during changeable weather can be enough.
    I only wear a straw hat when I work so (in a shed with poor light and a hood you really need a led torch with at least 8 leds) is up close and personal.
    If I build a bee house I plan on a perspex panel in the roof, paint the inside white and adapting those little solar power garden lights for the inside.

Default Bee House

Yes ... that's why you can open a mini-nuc under a red light at night and not get a face full of bees ;-) it also means they see all my Kielers and poly hives as big black lumps, without me looking like I'm farming lumps of onyx. Or something.

Quote Originally Posted by fatshark View Post
    Yes ... that's why you can open a mini-nuc under a red light at night and not get a face full of bees ;-) it also means they see all my Kielers and poly hives as big black lumps, without me looking like I'm farming lumps of onyx. Or something.
    I wondered about those red beesuits you see on TV

There is a nice picture of a bee house and article in the latest edition of IBRA. I think the bee house was located in Fife