Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Queen worries...

Question Queen worries...

Into my second year of beekeeping and still so much to learn...
    Last year's queen disappeared sometime in (probably early) April. No sign of young brood towards the end of April, she must have just died I guess. Anyway, I noticed queen cells and let one hatch. Haven't actually seen the wee devil, assume she is there somewhere, probably hatched 2-3 weeks ago, just when this really rubbish weather started.
    Still no sign of eggs or young brood. How long will the virgin stay viable without mating? There are a fair few drones around, when she does get the chance. Its really not been the weather for it here in Argyll.
    The girls are getting crabbit, another indication of queenlessness?
    Worried that they will die out, have been feeding syrup as most of apple blossom destroyed before they could get to it...
    Any advice welcome.

Blog Entries

Exactly the same problem here, only I have more than one colony so can rescue the supersedure colony if her ladyship doesn't get mated. Is there anyone near you who could spare a frame of brood with new eggs should this become necessary? I've known queens here to take up to 6 weeks to get mated and laying, so all is not lost. They've missed the bluebells, apples and raspberries but there's still clover to come if the summer returns. Not expecting much in the way of orchard fruit this year ... what did get pollinated simply blew off in the storm or is getting eaten by deer, who don't normally come into the garden after March ..

Thanks, good to know that they can take up to 6 weeks, less worried now. If all else fails I might be able to blag a frame of eggs/brood from someone, just need to find his phone number...
    Orchard has been a washout this year, my hopes are pinned on late flowering willow in area and lime, the evil willowherb, and a load of Balsam down by the burn. Been surprised that they didn't seem to go for the comfrey (bumbles loved it though). Given up all hope of a honey harvest this year.
    On the plus side at least chances of swarming in June are lessened...(??)

Blog Entries

Do you not have bramble? The blackberry is one of the main sources of nectar and pollen around here and the first flowers are already open. It flowers right through the summer.

See, told you I had a lot to learn/observe... lots of bramble in area, just hope it hasn't flowered yet, as it would be battered to bits!

Blog Entries

Our bramble's not even thinking of flowering just now. Everything's just stopped. Even the sprouts are wishing they'd not been planted out!

Blog Entries

Hi Sue

If you are in Argyll then a Private Message to 'Phil's bees' will put you in touch with the ever-so helpful and friendly secretary of the Oban group. He'll get an email even if he doesn't log on. If you are a bit far to have a frame of eggs delivered he'll know someone near you.

Are your bees polishing cells in a central area? If so there is probably a queen ready and waiting to go for it. If not then you could do with some help. It is likely that someone in your area will have queen cells to spare which would speed the recovery (when introducing queen cells protect all but the tip with aluminium foil).

all the best

Gavin

Thanks Gavin, have already emailed Phil, but I know he is a bit busier these days. Think we are due some good weather on Tuesday, will check for bees polishing cells - assume this means they will be headfirst in cells doing a bit of cleaning (not waving a duster and a can of Mr Sheen!).
    Introducing queen cells sounds scarily complicated, will keep as last resort!

Blog Entries

Do give the new girl a chance to get mated before wading in with a queen cell, though. Friday looks good for warm weather. I'll let you know how mine's doing, when I get a look in!

FINALLY a sunny afternoon! Phil kindly offered a chunk of comb with new laid eggs which I fetched this pm and raced home with it stuffed down my jumper! Have fitted this to a central frame and will just leave them to get on with it until the weekend, either new queen (if she's there) will have mated and started to have an influence on the hive, or they will start a/some new queen cell(s).
    Forgotten just how hard it is to see eggs - must invest in a really BIG magnifying glass!